Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Engagement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engagement Problem

This thing has me so confused! I have searched and searched and not really found anything that points me in any good direction. I have a 98 Trans Am and I just installed an ACT HDSS clutch in it. FWIW, I used a resurfaced spec billet flywheel. All hydraulics are BRAND NEW GM. Clutch went in great, and I took the measurements of everything like Tick shows in all of their examples.

Clutch fingers to bell housing, I have 2.487". With the slave fully preloaded, the slave to transmission distance is 2.418". This means I have a clearance distance of .069" which is right in the "magical" 1/16"-1/8" that Tick recommends.

Put it all in the car and bled everything. I had a good firm pedal, but when I started the car and went to go in reverse, the car wouldn't go in. If I shut the car off, put it in reverse, then started the car, the car would slowly roll backwards with the clutch on the floor. So I tried to bleed the system more and more, trying to start the car every once and while with the same, failed result.

I know the clutch is not fully disengaging, but what would be causing it? Everything feels good and I really doubt there is any air in the system.

I called ACT and they are supposed to call me back today, but I really doubt it's anything on their part. I think there is something wrong with the slave or something possibly.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same exact problems with my clutch that I just installed. I am getting extremely discouraged with this. I feel like it is a hydraulic issue but I have tried everything. I replaced the slave and master with new from GM. I have a hard time getting into first gear and reverse also. I have the clutch shimmed to spec. LMK what you find out.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ACT didn't call me back today... Maybe I'll hear something tomorrow
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

im having this problem also i push it all the way to the floor and it still is engaged a lil bit
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Not being a smart aaa. But I helped a friend who put a new centerforce clutch in his 05 gto when we got the pressure plate off staring right at me was a sticker that said flywheel side. I said dude, you put the disk in backward. His clutch would not fully release either just like you described. He did the work the first time, I helped him the second and clutch is fine. Cost him a new centforce disk though, the first one was warped from improper install.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check with the manufacturer about the A-B specs.
When I put in my RXT I called Mcleod when I was measuring and they said that you want it between .100-.300.

Quick Reply: Engagement Problem