Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to put into gear when cold...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard to put into gear when cold...

Just picked up the car over the weekend, but didn't notice the issue. It wasn't cold where I picked it up, so that might be the difference. Overnight, it gets down to 30 here. In the morning, when I try to back out of my driveway, I can't get the car into reverse. I have to coast down my driveway (it is at a slight incline), and then hope I have enough momentum to get all the way out. I can put it into first fine, although it does seem a little hard as well. When I get to work (~25 minutes), I can put it into reverse just fine. Any ideas? Car has an MGW shifter, and I'm not sure what clutch (although the pedal is pretty hard IMO). Thanks for the help.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a good indication the clutch does not fully release cold.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is most likely a hydraulic issue. The clutch itself will not have any way of knowing if it is cold or not. It simply responds to what the bearing (via the slave and master) tells it to do by compressing the diaphragm and releasing the disc. I suggest that you check the fluid in the reservoir. Is it dark or discolored? If so, it needs to be flushed and refilled. If not then you can proceed with s simple bleed of the system. I recommend using a mighty-vac (connecting to the bleeder valve and the reservoir). Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Hard to put into gear when cold...