Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

intermittant clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intermittant clutch problem

Two weeks ago when upshifting I was getting some grinding going into gear. I flushed the clutch fluid out and all was good until tonight. Slight grinding into gears and if I keep the clutch pedal in after putting it into the next gear the gears continue to grind with vibration in the pedal. I installed a new spec stage 1 and new master cylinder, slave cylinder and resurfaced flywheel about 10k miles ago. The clutch has always had some chatter in it.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Update on the issue. Only after driving for a while do the gears grind and only above 2500 rpm. I flushed the clutch fluid again and no improvement.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about your problems - are you using an OEM master cylinder? If so, I highly recommend shelling out the cash for a Tick adjustable master cylinder. A friend and I just installed one in my car and the shifting improvement over the stock master is huge. I did a WOT run today and it glides into gear with no resistance at top RPM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Well I shouldn't have to shell out big bucks for aftermarket master cylinder. The car shifter fine until two weeks ago. I put a new clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, throw out and pilot bearing 10k miles ago.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To me it sounds like the pilot bearing is worn out and giving the input shaft a vibration above a certain recolution speed
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Oh another things is when I shift and the clutch is in and I start to release the pedal if I push the clutch back in it will grind again for a couple secs.