Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Prothane vs. ES trans mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you take the torque arm off the tranny you dont need a poly mount....period.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think poly tranny mounts should be used period.. it's not a part under severe twist like the motor mounts are, it's just a seat for the booty of the transmission. I mean it's going to move a little bit, but to me it's mainly just there to absorb vibration.

I'm a huge poly fan, any part on both my car that can benefit from having poly has got it... sway bar bushings, end links, panhard, lca's, torque arm, ect... never had poly motor mounts yet, but new rubber's have always been fine even on my 383 car.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a update. I just called napa and they mount is now $8.47 Im going to go get one today. Great info!!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 AM
Teching In

HI everyone. I just put in a Prothane 7-1909 kit with motor mounts and tranny mount in my 93 T/A auto tranny. The vibration I have is really bad. It vibrates at about 40-50 mph. I don’t know if I should wait to see if the tranny mount has time to soften up or just put the stock one back in. Before with rubber mount I can do like 90 mph without no vibration. Now with this new one it just make the car seem unsafe like the driveshaft is going to break. I can deal with a little vibration but this seems like a little too much. What do you guys think I should do wait a week or two. I drive this car a lot in the nice weather back and forth to work. With this vibration doesn’t seem like a car anyone would want to drive all the time.

Last edited by Jay789; 04-05-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93z383

How's the quality of this piece? Rockauto wants ~$50 for an AC Delco or Anchor piece.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

But in the end the OEM rubber style tranny mount is the best bet. I've never killed one and a fresh rubber
My rubber mount was cracked and pretty worn,
Free information on the internet is the best!!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
Free information on the internet is the best!!
He's a French model.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99wssixm6
Just a update. I just called napa and they mount is now $8.47 Im going to go get one today. Great info!!
You get the napa one in how is it working out?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same mount advance and autozone also sell it for around the same price. My issue with it was that is is much softerr than the stock rubber piece was. I had issues with the trans and engine moving around too much in low gears causing the exhaust to hit and a lot of shifter movement. I also tried the energy suspension mount and it sucked.

In the end I just got the oem one from rock auto and its the best, smooth and no issues. My buddy has the prothane one and I would also consider that one.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ds98formula
You get the napa one in how is it working out?
Yes I did install the napa mount. It worked great and the car felt like it had the stock mount back in it. I actually broke the mount a few weeks ago but it was totally my fault as I shifted from 3rd to second at the track on a run.....oopps. Thankfully the mount gave and separated.

So today I reinstalled an older poly mount that I had in the closet. It was one of those "I took it out the next day" situations. As mentioned in an above post the main issue is the height difference. I took the advice of spacing the cross member down with washers and so far im very pleased with it. I crudely measured the difference in the height of the two mounts and found that two large sized washers looked to be the same height.

I was able to get the car up to 70 mph and it felt solid and pretty smooth. I will say that there was a small amount of vibration but nothing like it was the first time around with that damn thing. I must also say that me and buddies were working on our cars and during that time we took a 69 Camaro bad *** big block car to lunch then messed around in the brand new sweet 1le 2013 camaro ss my other buddy just bought. That new 1le package is awesome!!!! plus the car is so smooth and isolated. With all of that I was happy driving home in my car feeling that the drive line was as solid as it ever has been and the vibrations were basically gone or non exist.

Ohh my poly mount is black.....I think it is a enery suspension but I cant recall.
The following users liked this post:
jcookz28 (02-07-2020)
Old 09-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Teching In

NAPA part number is 620-1261 it's even cheaper now, $8.74 shows on the website
I see on the picture of your invoice this is for a 1993 car, are the mounts the same for 98+?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
I had the same mount advance and autozone also sell it for around the same price. My issue with it was that is is much softerr than the stock rubber piece was. I had issues with the trans and engine moving around too much in low gears causing the exhaust to hit and a lot of shifter movement. I also tried the energy suspension mount and it sucked.

In the end I just got the oem one from rock auto and its the best, smooth and no issues. My buddy has the prothane one and I would also consider that one.
Do you happen to have a part number for the mount from Advance or Autozone? I don't have a NAPA near me. On the website for Advance the only one I see is $75. Here is a link to the part I found.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hedFrom=header

Thanks

Quick Reply: Prothane vs. ES trans mount