Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

bleeding clutch and hydrolics

Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bleeding clutch and hydrolics

I just ordered my tick mc this morning, so next week ill be installing it along with my monster clutch. Im a broke college student so stretching the extra 50 bucks for the speed bleeder wasnt really ideal for me. So my question is, is bleeding the clutch and hydrolics really that much of a pita or with some patients is it simple? Keep in mind i dont have a lift and will be doing everything on jack stands in my driveway.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For bleeding, it can suck if you dont do it right the first time because you will have to re-bleed it later. It's a 10M or 12M bolt. You can do it with just the front end off the ground if you have to bleed it again though. Alot of people use a MityVac. I have heard that it works great but have not used one myself. I would imagine them not being too expencive either.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can afford a 325 dollar part but 50 is stretching it? Lol. I highly suggest you wait until you can afford the remote bleeder. Its is one of the best mods you can do for our cars.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Being a broke college student I understand where the op is coming from after spending the coin on a monster clutch and tick mc that extra 50 bucks can really be pushing it. to the op what some people do is go under the car and mark a dimple in the floor board where the bleeder is on the tranny. then go in the car and drill a 1/2" hole in the floor and just use a wratchet and socket to bleed it. then just get a robber grommet from home depot to seal the hole back up
Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

it is a 11mm go ahead and buy or rent a miti vac i found that having the master off and lower than the slave so your air goes up twards the slave and makes it easier to bleed. and yes it is a pita if you have to open and close the bleeder all the time when bleeding not much room espically if you have bigger hands.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How does the miti vac work? I've heard of it but Ive heard it could damage the seals in the slave?

The hole in the floor board doesnt sound terrible but id like to avoid drilling through the floor if i dont have to.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

miti vac uses suction to pull the fluid and air out. Dont pull more than 12inches of vacum and you wont blow the seals out.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you want to use the mightyvac assuming you can get one its pretty simple. just make sure the reservoir is full and then get the mightyvac out and fill the mightyvac reservoir with fluid also. stick the hose down into the hole at the bottom of the reservoir and apply 10-12 in of vacuum the slowly pump the pedal making sure the reservoir never goes dry and when you see the all the bubbles stop coming up your done...
Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds simple enough, Im pretty sure I saw a mightyvac at pepboys. Thanks guys Ill give it a try when my mc comes in.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Autozone has the Mityvac on their loan-a-tool list.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i tired a Mity VAc from AZ...and it was a POS!!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Does the vac hook to the bleeder screw?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Yes, but you pull the bleeder first and smear grease onto threads for sealing of the threads.
Then you can evacuate.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Yes, but you pull the bleeder first and smear grease onto threads for sealing of the threads.
Then you can evacuate.
?

To answer the question, the mityvac comes with the gun vac, clear hose and plastic fittings that go on the end of the hose. The gun vac has a nipple and the clear hose goes on that end, and you find a cone fitting that fits perfectly in the little hole in the clutch fluid reservoir. Place that fitting on the other end of the clear hose and insert the nipple into the hole in the bottom of reservoir. You hold in place the nipple in a slight downward force in the hole and begin squeezing the pump trigger/handle. The gauge will then rise up pressure and apply 10-14 pressure. Look at the gauge to see if the pressure drops, that will happen if its not sealed right on fittings or the plastic cone fitting is not making good seal with the little hole.

It will then bring the air bubbles into the vac's clear hose. In most cases, the cone fitting will have a good seal, it can be left alone without holding it. It takes some good amount of time to bring out most of the bubbles. 20-40 mins or more. Sometimes a couple sessions of vacs will be needed.

When you remove the cone fitting that is sucked on the reservoirs hole, to not release pressure on vac. Simply pull out the hole and fitting off reservoir. Then add more fluid as needed.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I couldnt end up finding a mityvac to rent around here so I just did it the old fashon way, pretty much like bleeding brakes I suppose except that damn resivoir is SMALL! and of course the bleeder screw is hard to get to. Either way, we got my buddies formula driving now with a fesh RPM t-56, monster clutch, and TSP stainless headers and Y pipe, he is pretty happy to say the least.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

honestly.. find a way to get the extra 50 and put in a speed bleeder... its stupid easy to bleed and flush my clutch with one person... just crack the valve open lay the hose in the fluid canister and pump the clutch like 5 times slowly.. then go and tighten it back up... DONE... i love having it because crawling under the car and having to have two people sucked
Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 AM
On The Tree

Getting ready to install a trans so the speed bleeder sounds like a great deal ill have to pick on up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bleeding clutch and hydrolics