Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Headache

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Headache

Hey guys, so I have been experiencing clutch problems since I bought the car and it's finally time to fix it! I've done quite a bit of research and have been led to believe it's the Master Cylinder, but just wish to be sure!

Long story short, when I first purcashed the car there was a slight grinding noise whenever shifting into 3rd gear. Also, there was quite a bit of trouble getting it into Reverse along with sixth gear which lead me to believe it's a clutch issue and not a transmission issue.

Well, after owning the car for about 6 months now it's starting to get quite worst... now it's making a slight grinding noise in each gear. Whenever the RPMs go above 4,000 it is damn near impossible to shift gears, not only does it not want to come out of the gear but it also doesn't wish to go into gear.

Other symptoms include the clutch pedal being spongy when I first go out for a drive (( after pumping it a few times it builds enough pressure and only has a inch of play )) and if you're driving down the road and allow the rpms to get above the 4k mark and press the clutch in and do a slight rev the car will jerk forward... so the clutch isn't disengaging all the way.

I've tried all forms of bleeding the clutch, using the Mityvac through the clutch reservoir, putting the mityvac on the bleeder screw, along with just doing gravity bleeding but with no luck. Also, the previous owner replaced the Slave cylinder about 8k miles ago.

Any help would be great! I already ordered a Ticks Performance Master Cylinder but waiting for that to come in.... it's currently back ordered

Also, the previous owner replaced the clutch at the same time as the slave cylinder, it's a CenterForce clutch.

Last edited by SHKNBKE; 05-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also having the same issue. If you drive at low rpm's, does it shift kinda ok? I was told that my slave cylinder was bad. I am ordering a full clutch kit but have not ordered the master. I wont be able to do an install for a few months so let me know if it was the master.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk#317
I am also having the same issue. If you drive at low rpm's, does it shift kinda ok? I was told that my slave cylinder was bad. I am ordering a full clutch kit but have not ordered the master. I wont be able to do an install for a few months so let me know if it was the master.
I hope it's just my master! If I have to replace the Slave I'm gonna be upset haha, really don't feel like dropping the transmission to get to it!

But yeah, if I drive below that it will shift fine for the most part. I find it the easiest to shift at exactly 3k RPM for some reason... anything above that will take a little bit of effort and anything below 3k it produces a grinding noise (( also will make the grinding noise at anything above 3,500 ))

And don't worry, I will keep you updated to let you know what fixed it!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I've been talking to the previous owner since I bought the car, actually became rather good friends... well, he texted me this morning stating that he found his receipt for the clutch work and that he actually replaced the Master instead of the slave. He replaced it with a Wagner Master Cylinder if that helps anything.

So I'm still currently waiting for my Ticks Master Cylinder to even ship, should I go ahead and cancel the order and order a slave instead? Or could it be the replacement Master is starting to fail?

Please, any help would be grateful! I just want to get this darn clutch fixed, it's really starting to bug me. Also, the car currently has 116k miles on it on the stock slave.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

It's incredibly hard to pinpoint what exactly is failing.. like most people I started with the tick master, and when that didn't work I ordered a clutch kit and new slave. Now the problem is gone.

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Alright thank you! I'm going to go ahead and continue waiting for the Ticks Master to arrive and to see if that's the case.

Just out of curiosity how long does a '02 Slave normally tend to last? I heard numerous times that the '00-'02 are significantly better than the previous years but no one really stated how much better. Do they tend to only last around 100k miles?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car had the master and slave replaced at around 55-60k. But the car sat in the driveway for years without much use. Now it's at 70k and I have modded the car and now the clutch will not hold. Shoulda changed it while it was out but I just changed the hydraulics.

Quick Reply: Clutch Headache