Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lt1 clutch won't disengage suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 clutch won't disengage suddenly

Back story, I destroyed the clutch about 3 months ago. Put a new Ram Powergrip in everything was good until about 3 weeks ago. Shifting started getting notchy and more difficult to get into reverse. Changed trans fluid, no change. Yesterday I put a new slave and master cylinder on, no change. Car shifts ok when it's rolling, put it up on jack stands, put it in gear wheels turn with the clutch fully in. I can put the car in reverse and start it and I feel it try and roll, I can usually get first with a little pressure. Pedal feels good, and has full travel. I pulled the slave and spacer out again, and there is quite a bit of play in the shift fork. I pulled the shift fork back out of the T bolt and looked in as best as I could at the throw out bearing, it looks ok from what I can see. The retaining ring is still on and I see no metal shavings or anything. The only thing I can think of is to pull the tranny back and replace shift fork and T bolt. Maybe shift fork tab's that act on the throw out bearing are worn the T bolt worn? Any thoughts or idea's?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

It's therapeutic to type right now.

What's perplexing is from what I described one would think that the clutch release would be right off the floor, but it's not. It's right about where it was before when the clutch was working correctly, right in the middle half of the stroke is where it's picking up. Which leads me to think. Is it possible that the retaining ring that holds the throwout bearing on has come loose on one of the sections of the pressure plate fingers, causing it not to fully release and drag on those fingers? Anyone ever heard of that happening? It's just that it feels like the clutch is so so close to being disengaged, but it's just dragging just a little bit. I am trying to eliminate all options before I pull the tranny again.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

I think I have stumbled on to something. I put a harmonic balancer puller on the two studs that the slave goes over and I ran it in and measured how far it was from the clutch fork when it was tight to when it was disengaged. I was able to put the car in gear and spin the drive shaft so I knew the clutch was disengaged. I did this a couple times loosing the puller and feeling the clutch engage. Then I got to lookin at the shift fork and thinking about it's motion and felt in the pocket where the slave rod goes into, sure enough a ridge/oblong feeling area at the bottom. So I took some JB steel stick and re made the pocket. I used the end of the slave rod to make a new pocket in the JB it works. Clutch disengages. I have ordered a new shift fork and T bolt as I'm sure both of those parts are worn, but I'm not going to replace them till later on when it cools off. IF I CAN!

Quick Reply: Lt1 clutch won't disengage suddenly