Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slave to long

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slave to long

so here is the problem i have now, i broke my slave this weekend changing the fluid so i went down to autozone and bought a duralast one. the first thing i noticed when i took the old one out was the new one was a lil taller. i thought it was just cause the old one was messed up because it was making some rattling noise when i released the clutch and was just setting in neutral. the clutch was slipping a lil in 5th if i floored it but thats the only time so i figured the clutch was getting a lil thin. anyway i put the new slave in with no shims or anything and put it all back together and now it slips like crazy, i cant give it any power without it slipping. the hydraulics are bled correctly, the pedal is nice and firm. the only thing i can think of is the new slave being a lil taller is not letting the pressure plate fully engage on the clutch plate causing the slip. i got a good textralia oz700 from a buddy with flywheel and will be putting it in but i dont want to do all of the work putting the new clutch in an it still slip because of the slave. there is no shims under the slave so i cant make the slave any "shorter" so what should i do? just buy a new slave?

here is the part i broke

here is the jacked up TO bearing

and here is the difference in the height
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

oh and i bought a remote bleeder so i don't break the bleeder anymore. when i measured them the new one to a 1/8th inch taller.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

anybody?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Same problem!!!! Need help! Without hydraulics even hooked up, you can spin the tailshaft free once tranny is bolted up! I can back the tranny bolts off a couple mm and the tailshaft starts to turn hard. Everything looks good, slave is same size as stock, nothing out of the ordinary! The clutch setup was in the car before, I had the engine rebuilt and put a new slave in because the old one was leaking fluid. Spec 3 clutch and flywheel.....
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

is it in neutral?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The difference is in the throw out bearing, Not the housing. We use these daily with zero issues.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Launching!

No difference on throw out bearings. The fingers on the pressure plate barely drop when tightening to the flywheel. Not my first clutch, I also do this for a living, just a very strange scenario and was hoping someone had the same issue.

Yes it is in gear!

Quick Reply: slave to long