Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slow RPM drop

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slow RPM drop

It seems like when I shift the rpms take to long to go down. Say when I shift from first to second, or any other gear, I can still feel the rpms when I shift. A little too much, makes it harder to shift. Anyone know whats wrong?
Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the motor stock? There are tables in the ECU (cracker/follower) that control the RPM drop under various situations. Like on/off throttle, take off, clutch in/out and neutral off throttle from high RPM. They are usually modded when you add a lighter flywheel to compensate for the less inertia of the flywheel. If it is dropping to slow to your liking you can pull air from the follower table. Small baby steps. One 1g/cyl can make a huge difference. You have HP TUners, EFI Live or some other tuning setup to do so.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Stock as far as I know but I am not the first owner. Going to have it tuned sometime, it should def help
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even a stock car can see gains from a tune. The factory runs things REALLY safe. Just tell the tuner that you want the rpm's to drops a little faster and they should be able to hook you up.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

This might sound really really dumb, but it could be as simple as your A/C. I always have that problem when mine is running. I don't know where you live, but down here we've been in a nasty heat wave. If you just recently noticed it, it could be the problem. It always makes my shifts a little jumpy too.

Or its entirely possible that your A/C is switch or relay is shot and it's stuck on. Even though there are failsafes for that...
Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

A/C was on, even though its not blowing too cold at the moment lol. I thought it could be that and yes... heat wave here too, been 100+ for a while here in Missouri with no rain. :/
Old 06-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sladester2
A/C was on, even though its not blowing too cold at the moment lol. I thought it could be that and yes... heat wave here too, been 100+ for a while here in Missouri with no rain. :/
Cut it off, see what happens. Maybe it really was that simple XD
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

I posted this same question in the tuning section and got told a bunch of ignorant BS by a bunch of self proclaimed know-it-alls. I ended up going to my tuner and having the problem fixed. I don't know the exact term but it had to do with the crack throttle tables or some mumbo jumbo. Anyways it's super easy for the tuners to fix this problem

Quick Reply: Slow RPM drop