Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 clutch install... help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default LT1 clutch install... help!

A friend of mine bought a 97 Z28 with clutch problems. The former owners pulled the transmission to put a clutch in it and it hasn't ran since. That was 2 years ago. Auto parts stores want 200 bucks for a throwout bearing so I'm assuming they're something special about their design. First off on the car you can just about pull the fork out of the bellhousing so thats the problem but I just don't understand as to why someone with enough know how to pull the tranny couldn't put the fork, release bearing back in right. Whats so different about an LT1 vs a LS1 or T5. I've worked on the last 2 before.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
. Whats so different about an LT1 vs a LS1 or T5. I've worked on the last 2 before.
the LT1 clutch is a "pull" type where LSx is a "push" type (like most stick cars).

sometimes the fork is bent, ball stud it mounts on is lose or the fork was not pushed in all the way onto the TO bearing. It is helpfull to push the fork on when the tranny is about 1/4"-1/2" away from fully being in, then push tranny in.

another important tip is TQ on PP bolts for the LT1 is 22 ft lbs...more will cause disengagement issues.

assumeing the install was done right there have been cases where the TO bearing (china made) seperates at the lip making the clutch not work (and a crap load of noise).

$200 for a TO bearing...find another parts store. Every LT1 TO bearing I have seen is made in china or not marked at all. I feel the one with the "square" top/sides is better than the round one. Supposedly the "square" ones were used with the LT4 clutch (also a pull type)

pic of what the fork should look like installed correct and rount 7 square TO bearings
Attached Thumbnails LT1 clutch install... help!-clutch-inst-8-clutch-fork.jpg   LT1 clutch install... help!-bearing-round-3.08mm.jpg   LT1 clutch install... help!-bearing-square-3.60mm.jpg   LT1 clutch install... help!-bearings-square-right.jpg   LT1 clutch install... help!-bearings.jpg  

Old 07-08-2012, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well we got it out. The throwout bearing was in 3 pieces. We tried carquest (230 bucks), advance (152 but was discontinued), autozone (182 and had to order). The car actually ended up having a perfection clutch kit in it and the local advance took it in as trade for a zoom set that had the throwout bearing in it. He just paid the 140 difference. Thanks

Quick Reply: LT1 clutch install... help!