Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst shifter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurst shifter problem?

I went out for a ride the other night with a friend. I did a highway pull from 55-120 (3rd/4th gear) in my Z06. I got off the highway, and couldnt put it in 3rd gear. I have a built RPM level 4 transmission in it as well. So I just went on. I'm driving again to turn back around on the highway, and now it wont go into 5th gear! It went into 2nd, 4th, and 6th just fine though. I get to a stop light.. Try to go from first.. And It wont go into first either.. Now I'm like WTF! I park it in a parking spot at a bar and drop my buddy back off at his car. I try to put it into reverse, and same thing! All my upwards gears wont work. So, I had to roll it backwords and go home using 2nd, 4th, and 6th. I'm thinking this has to be something with the shifter. When it was bone stock before I had the cam/heads/nitrous put on my 3rd gear synchro took a **** and that was the whole reason why I had the RPM transmission put in, and I know those things are bulletproof, and I doubt I'm even making enough power to break one of those (540rwhp/590rwtq).

Anyone ever have any issues like this before? Any help too? I'm thinking about taking the shifter out with a friend of mine tonight just to see whats up with it. I've heard that some of the bolts can become loose on the shifter and cause problems similar to this. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you shut the car off can you select any gear? If you can try starting it with the clutch in and the car in say 1st gear and see what happens. the fact that the car will go into some gears and not all though kinda rules out a clutch issue though....
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the car off it still wont go into 1-3-5-R

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter problem?