Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rattle from underneath car??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Rattle from underneath car??

This is kind of a weird one lol. Today on my way to work I ran the car up to about 3k in 4th gear and then pushed the clutch in and cam to a light. When I as sitting at the light with the clutch out in neutral I heard a small tapping almost like the y pipe hitting the floor board right beneath my feet and a biit in the shifter. I though it was maybe coming from the bellhousing but its hard to tell being that the body transfers all the vibration.

I left the light and continued switching gears all the way to and from work which total is about 15 miles and I havent heard it since I also ran some errands this afternoon and its all good no vibrations or noise. I should add in the brief few secs i heard it there was no vibration or anything just the tapping. I was thiinking maybe the exhaust was hitting somewhere. I'd think if the pressure plate or flywheel bolts were coming out I would have a vibration or some other noise especially in the clutch pedal?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If bolts were backing out it would also affect the way the clutch actuates (engages and releases) and this in turn would make shifting difficult (and eventually impossible). If your ability to shift gears hasn't been affected then this isn't likely relative to bolts backing out. Was the sound heard while the clutch pedal was depressed or while it was released?
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it actually didnt matter what i did with the pedal hence why i was thinking it wasnt inside the transmission and something like a mount or exhaust if i pushed the pedal in i heard it if it was out it was the same. havent heard it since i have put another 45 miles or so on the car. and the shifting is great, the tranny was just rebuilt and has been shifting fine now for 200 miles give or take.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully it was just a rattle and it won't return. Keep us posted if it does. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Rattle from underneath car??