Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slipping clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping clutch

I was merging onto the highway the other day in 4th and gave it a little gas to get up to highway speed when my clutch slipped. I tested it in 6th and 5th and the same result...so looks like my clutch is on it's way out. Right now it has a Spec Stage III in it and I'm not a fan of the pedal being all or nothing. I'd like something much closer to stock. I'm not sure exactly what I'll go with but my friends have suggested either an LS7 or a Monster Stage 2. My big question is this...what all is needed to replace the clutch? Just the clutch itself? Flywheel, slave cylinder, etc? There's a lot of choices out there and I just want to be informed. Car is an 00' WS6 w/bolt-ons and the only other performance mods I'll probably be looking to do is heads/intake.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IronwolfWS6
I was merging onto the highway the other day in 4th and gave it a little gas to get up to highway speed when my clutch slipped. I tested it in 6th and 5th and the same result...so looks like my clutch is on it's way out. Right now it has a Spec Stage III in it and I'm not a fan of the pedal being all or nothing. I'd like something much closer to stock. I'm not sure exactly what I'll go with but my friends have suggested either an LS7 or a Monster Stage 2. My big question is this...what all is needed to replace the clutch? Just the clutch itself? Flywheel, slave cylinder, etc? There's a lot of choices out there and I just want to be informed. Car is an 00' WS6 w/bolt-ons and the only other performance mods I'll probably be looking to do is heads/intake.
I would recommend our Level 2, like your friends did. Due to the car being a bolt on car. Our level 2's have great feedback and work really well in DD applications. A level 3 is a bit over-kill in my opinion. Our premium package comes with everything you would for the install minus bolts. They are separate. Give us a call man 817-750-2000
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

I don't have experience with other clutches but I just installed the monster stage 2 and I have 400 miles on it so far and it is doing very well. I did notice a fair difference in the pedal effort - stage 2 has a stiffer pedal than stock but I am already used to it and is not even an issue now. There is a very small amount of shudder when taking off very easy - like you would in a parking lot - but it is minimal and I think that is the nature of the beast when dealing with a fairly strong aftermarket clutch. I would certainly recommend the Monster at this point and I know others will as well
Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Teching In

I just installed my stg 3 in my Z06, it's a bit of overkill for now, car only makes 420rwhp but i wanted room for growth!! When can i really start putting power to it? Is the 500 mi break in that critical? i like the feel so far, smooth engagement, pedal effort is increased but my wife still can drive it, so it's not to bad!!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I don't have the cash at the moment as I'm in the middle of a career change, but now I'm armed with some good info. The clutch in mine shudders pretty bad and will squeal when taking off from a dead stop unless you have just the right RPMs. How is the clutch travel? With mine it's all or nothing and I really don't like it
Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Are you sure you have a Stage 3+ and not a Stage 3? I ask because the Stage 3+ is quite progressive for engagement and easy to drive on the street? The 3, which has a puck-type disc, can be a bote more on and off in terms of engagement. How many miles are on the kit you have? What kid of usage has it seen? Either way, when you get the clutch out send me some pics for assessment. Thanks,
Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Teching In

My car has a Spec Stage III (just got ahold of the guy I bought it from and asked) and yea, it's all or nothing. Is the Stage II any better?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

Stage 2 and 2+ will be more progressive in terms of engagement. Let me know if you have other questions or need anything. I will be happy to assist you!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

McLeod twin disc RST or RXT and never look back.

Pedal pressure is effortless almost seems lighter than stock. Holds 800-1000hp depending upon which one you buy.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Launching!

i've got a few thousand miles on a monster level 2...i got the premium package and lightened flywheel. I installed a tick master cylinder while i was in there and a speed bleeder.

Monster 2 is a quality piece...stiff at first but consistent. Spec stage 2 is also a quality piece but it may require you to shim your slave cylinder...that may be good or bad depending on your school of thought. monster 2 and spec 2 were similar in price so i went with the monster since it was less work to install.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Launching!

oh and if you're not going to compete (drag, autox, road race, etc)...look into an LS7 clutch setup. lots of folks on here love it and say it has an awesome feel so its something to consider.

good luck with the job situation.

Last edited by brigade24; 09-25-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added some details
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by brigade24
i've got a few thousand miles on a monster level 2...i got the premium package and lightened flywheel. I installed a tick master cylinder while i was in there and a speed bleeder.

Monster 2 is a quality piece...stiff at first but consistent. Spec stage 2 is also a quality piece but it may require you to shim your slave cylinder...that may be good or bad depending on your school of thought. monster 2 and spec 2 were similar in price so i went with the monster since it was less work to install.

Thanks for the kind words man, glad you like it. To the OP, give us a call and well get you squared away.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Teching In

How would a Spec Stage 1 or Monster Level 1 hold up on a full bolt-on's car?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Wouldn't have a problem. For an extra $50 i would upgrade to our Level 2. Give you some extra room
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Our Stage 1 would easily handle your needs: providing great drivability and plenty of capacity to boot. Take a look at the link below or give me a call if you have other questions. Thanks

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Ponti...Am/2000/Single

Quick Reply: Slipping clutch