Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 reverse syncro help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 reverse syncro help

i am def a newb to the forum world so i hope i am going about this correctly but neways my problem is as follows....reverse was popping out of gear and apon disassembly found the syncro hub sleeve and blocking ring both to be worn out so i flipped the hub sleeve 180 degrees as shown in other posts and got a new blocking ring . the problem is that i cannot get the reverse shift fork to budge so i can slide the syncro hub deep enough into the sleeve to be able to get the blocking ring in place. hope this makes sense to someone. I have never messed with a manual trans but i did download the repair manual from tremec but no help there really. thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It doesn't make sense off-hand.

Hopefully you have the two shift rail alignment bolts in place correctly.

Pull the fork and synchro. Put the synchro together with keys, springs wound opposing directions starting from the same key and install the backside key retainer plate.

Set the synchro and fork onto their respective rails at the same time; flat side of the reverse fork towards the front of the trans (I think ), wobbling the shift rail so the fork goes all the way against the stop. Set both your lock-ring for the synchro and snap-ring for the fork. Then set the wave spring and blocker ring in place, indexing the notches in the latter to the synchro keys.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set the trans to reverse(extends the shaft our of the main housing), and make sure you assemble the syncro assembly as a whole off the trans. Don't try to slide the outer ring on while the center hub is still on the main shaft. Make sure to put the key retainer ring back on the same way it came off.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

yea had to get it in the correct gearing position in order to be able to move the fork and it all went together well but after install would only grind in reverse and turns out the engagement teeth on the reverse gear were very worn so I just dropped it of with Jason at TDP in Fort Worth will be picking it up today. So far there has been excellent customer service and I would highly recommend him to anyone.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a part swap with him a couple weeks ago. A very nice/helpful guy.

Quick Reply: t56 reverse syncro help