Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Faceplating True Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Faceplating True Cost?

What's the actual cost of Faceplating including shipping of Transmission?

Here's my problem below if anyone can chime in to see if I'm on the right path.

My car have recently gotten to the point where I can't powershift into 3rd or 4th @ WOT.

I can still PS or Shift quickly just riding around town but the consistency of doing it back to back during pulls is nearly impossible @ the moment.

Will faceplating fix this problem "which I think it's the synchros" or is it in the hydraulic side?

BTW I am running a Tick MC.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a car driven on the street I'd probably try to go with a t-56 magnum or a tr-6060 instead to go with the triple and double cone syncros. Face plating would be cheaper though. I'd think it would be under $2000 assuming your trans isn't trashed internally.

Tick performance has a face plate option on their site.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Exidous
For a car driven on the street I'd probably try to go with a t-56 magnum or a tr-6060 instead to go with the triple and double cone syncros. Face plating would be cheaper though. I'd think it would be under $2000 assuming your trans isn't trashed internally.

Tick performance has a face plate option on their site.
I don't think it's trashed. Well I hope it's not. I prob drive the car 1 day out of a week, so it's not my DD. Didn't know Tick was an option. I'll def look into them.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Contact Martin@tickperformance
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Facplating is really not all that friendly on the street and will require a rebuild of the trans anyway the faceplating option at tick is 800 iirc. It will let you shift faster but when driving around town you will constantly hear the gears mashing together when you shift, just go on youtube and listen around. Imo since its not a track only car just build your t56 or go t56 magnum. A well built t56 with bronze fork pads, billet keys and all the goodies will handle 600hp.

And fwiw if it just locks you out of gear its most likely hydraulics but if you hear a grinding going into gear then synchros. If it is hydraulics try the tick m/c if that fails it maybe the clutch
Old 09-08-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure it cost me right at $1000 including shipping a couple years ago. It will definitely cure your power shifting problems. As for on the street, it just depends on you and how much you can tolerate. To me it's no big deal, and I'm getting ready to go on Drag Week for my second time with it. You will have to alter your driving style, though it is possible to get where it doesn't make much noise at all.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

RedBird
New clutch, Tick & Slave. It's not a grind. It's seems like the shifter get stuck in between 3rd&5th. Kind of hard to explain. And 4th just don't engage in time. Don't get me wrong. I can still shift pretty quick till where the power never fall off but PowerShifting is out the door.

Sweiser
I have a high tolerance level & have listened to some of the cars on Youtube which don't sound toooo bad. Like I said. She's not a DD but when I do drive it. I DRIVE IT!!

Thanks for the inputs. Gonna think about it a little while longer but as of right now, i'm still leaning towards the faceplating.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

With the problems you describe faceplating isn't the answer. Rebuilding the transmission is the answer. Faceplating a transmission that won't shift is akin to backing the titanic up to hit the iceberg again. Go over to LS1GTO and see the thread on the T56 that erupted on the IH.

I just spent $4,500 having RPM rebuild the T56, add GForce 9310 Dog cut gears and liberty faceplating/micropolishing it. Another transmission went in with mine for faceplating and rebuild only and I think it was around 3 grand. The work was flawless, the concept and design of the work done was incredible. RPM had an article in GMHTP recently about the T56 Magnum. Were I to have the half of a year of my life back it took them to finish the damned build I would have considered going for the T56 Magnum, mainly because they wouldn't have to depend on Liberty for the micropolishing. That is total cost guys less shipping but not including Quick time Bellhousing and a twin or triple disk clutch capable of holding the horsepower. So you are talking another 1200-2000 dollars outside of the immediate transmission work unless you already have that stuff. Then again why would you rebuild a transmission and put a used clutch in it? So tally $6,000-$6,500 and 6 months downtime, pretty much an entire season, for the TCO.

Since it took six months to do the work I decided I didn't want to risk another wasted season waiting on fixes to any problems so we took the tranny apart and I bought a Stage 5 TH400 from FTI. Best decision I ever made; rated at the same RWHP, and about a thousand dollars cheaper.

We made a flower pot out of the T56 case and sold the 9310 internals for scrap.

Last edited by wrp; 09-08-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 448 Likes on 354 Posts

I've dding my faceplated t56 for over 5 yrs. My ex gf even dd it for a while. I love it. It cost me about $1200-1300 to get it done at liberty.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just get a good rebuild, I can't really shift any faster, or picked up any time at the track with it faceplated. Then I way I could drive with a synco t56 is good shape. For racing its the way to go. But having a fresh sycro t56 and a good clutch setup and no problems with shifting it is still really nice.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Was quoted $2500 without shipping and six weeks to complete from Liberty for my GTO T56. Explained that the trans does not need a full rebuild just the faceplating done but price did not change.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll be checking into the rebuild.
studderin-yea for the price & driveablity without noticing any improvement would be pointless.
LFSADRG-2500 without shipping. WOW
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 448 Likes on 354 Posts

Well the improvement would be consistently shifting at 6800+ rpm's. The sycro's don't like it above that. It will do it for a while when fresh but will get notchy at some point. Another improvement is I don't use the clutch to shift when I'm on it. I breath the throttle and pull the gear. Once you get the timing down it's super smooth and gets you to the next gear faster.

Quick Reply: Faceplating True Cost?