Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch

Yes bout to change my slave cylinder in my 2001 z28 and fig I prolly go ahead and get a clutch kit while I'm at it, anysuggestions for type at all?? Gripforce any good? Or should I do a stock oiellys replacement?? Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiss_1117
Yes bout to change my slave cylinder in my 2001 z28 and fig I prolly go ahead and get a clutch kit while I'm at it, anysuggestions for type at all?? Gripforce any good? Or should I do a stock oiellys replacement?? Thanks
Search around the manual transmission forum, the LS7 clutch kit is pretty popular for a OEM style replacement that will handle more power.
Look into a tick adjustable master cylinder as well, big difference for me.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really depends on your mods and where you're planning on going with the car.

If you're close to stock, the ls7 is nice. Has a stock feel, holds ok power, a lot of people like them... quite a few people dont. I think they are over-rated for the HP they hold.

If you're planning on adding any power, Id look at a Monster or Diamond clutch as an upgrade. The level 1 and level 2 monster clutches are very good for minor bolt ons, pretty much stock feel, slightly heavier. Ive never installed a Diamond clutch, but ive driven with them and they are nice, slightly heavier then stock. Both have excellent customer service and Id say they UNDER-rate their clutches, as ive seen them take more abuse then they say they can.

If you step up to a level 3 or more, you need to do a Tick master also. The combination will give a lot heavier clutch pedal, but at that point your so happy someone makes a great clutch to hold your power. Having your left leg be bigger then your right is no longer a concern. (thats a joke, they arent THAT much heavier!) But I have had people going from stock clutches make comments noticing the difference when going to that big of a clutch.

I highly advise against the Oriellys clutch unless the car is going to be seldomly driven by only your grandma. They arent the same quality they used to be, which still isnt saying much. They do offer great warranties, but my time changing clutches every several months is worth more then the money saved by a far inferior clutch.

Last edited by xxrillixx; 09-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS7 clutch kit/Tick MC user here. Couldn't be happier
Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level 1 kits are perfect for a stock replacement
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

i have a monster stage 2 w/ tick mc and love it. solid product and very streetable
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Thanks man
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

spec 2 clutch and tick master and havent had a problem. loves the intown driving and great out on the highways. good price for both products and the clutch made it to me the same week i ordered it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well unfortunataly before I found this sight I bought a Gripforce stage2 clutch, flywheel package. The parts look good, but that is where it ended. I have less than 100 miles on the car taking it real easy because everything is new. But as soon as I went full throttle a couple of times I could detect a small amount of slippage. And when you stopped you could smell clutch. After taking it apart you can see the inner 1/3 of the clutch disc has never made contact with the flywheel or the pressure plate. It has made hot spots on the outer 2/3rds of the flywheel and pressure plate. So I put a straight edge on the pressure plate it is .009 cupped. I have sent pics to Gripforce and after taking two weeks to get back to me they say it clearly had oil/grease on the outer edge of the flywheel. But parts are bone dry and my motor and trans and master have no leaks. And I cleaned the flywheel and pressure plate with brake clean before installation. Lesson learned never deal with those ****** again.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow I just realized this thread is from last year... Sorry.

Quick Reply: Clutch