Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What causes hot spots in this pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes hot spots in this pattern?

This clutch chattered like crazy and engagement was all over the place, this was supposed to be this vendor's nicest driving clutch. It was very difficult to drive around town without looking like a fool. I put less than 2k miles on it before I was so fed up that I pulled it out. I have purposely excluded the brand because I am still working with them on a resolution.

What causes hot spots in a pattern like this? The spots on the flywheel and pressure plate and not mated when the unit is assembled, they are offset about 120* so the 6 total spots are about equally spaced. The flywheel is relatively flat but the pressure plate is conical. It has about .003" taper fro the outside to the inside (inside is low) when check with a straightedge across the diameter. When looking at the pressure plate you can see about a 1" wide stripe of wear. The outer edge of this stripe is the high point on the plate.

There are no leaks inside the bell (engine or clutch hydraulics), the parts were spotless at the time of install so I doubt it is contamination. The surface finish of the plate and flywheel both appear to be turned and not ground with a non-directional finish. These were new when installed.
Attached Thumbnails What causes hot spots in this pattern?-img_0082.jpg   What causes hot spots in this pattern?-img_0094.jpg   What causes hot spots in this pattern?-img_0086.jpg  

Last edited by C5Shark; 09-09-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warped flywheel/pressure plate maybe?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

defective marcel spring

Quick Reply: What causes hot spots in this pattern?