Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

short throw shifters

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default short throw shifters

ok this may be a crazy question but here goes. I did a T56 swap into my 1968 Chevy pickup. The 4l60 was fast but this makes it fun. Anyway I am eventually going to work on my shifter rod and probably make one to fit a little better. Then I can make a console. My question is that is the new MGM or Pro 5.0 bases only have a short throw because the stick is shorter? I know if I lengthen mine to get it in the right spot it I would like it to be a shorter throw.
Does this make sense? I can just unbolt my shifter rod and add my custom or a new lower unit to help any thoughts?
Thanks
Dave
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Pro-5.0 has a truly shorter throw. The point of rotation was moved from the factory location and shifted to shorten the throw.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

all aftermarket shifters will have roughly the same reduction in throw, made possible by raising the pivot
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, sounds like I should get an aftermarket one before I start bending my new shifter handle.
I was not sure how much was possible but sounds like they made some difference. It just seemed like when the new shifter was installed everybosdy used a very short rod. I thought it was a trick (lol) to seem shorter . Sounds like the "internals" are also different.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i get what your saying...

Do you mean MGW? I have an MGW and the stick is to short for my liking so i made one that is longer. The throws are still short and my hand is closer to the wheel...

there are 2 allen head screws that hold the shifter stick in place so its really easy to remove/add a long shifter stick...the base allows for a cylinder shaped stick to be inserted.

hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

whoops, yep typing too fast yes the MGW shifter or any of the aftermarket ones.
Yes I think you have it I may need to "adjust" my shifter stick since it was just shoe horned into my truck. Some of that adjustment may be to make it longer I need to get a console for my drinks and elbow. lol . plus I need a place for my junk.
Again thanks.
Dave

Quick Reply: short throw shifters