Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinds going into 2nd.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinds going into 2nd.

2 weeks ago I purchased a non running 93 z28 6spd. From what I was told it was a clutch issue. The car sat for a year until i bought it. The car turned on and when trying to press the clutch with the car running it grinded bad. I then turned the car off, tried pressing the clutch and the pedal would not move. It was stuck in the disengaged position.

I towed the car home, ordered a new clutch and began swapping the clutch. Once I removed the transmission I noticed a lot of shredded metal. The throwout bearing was bent out of shape and had grinded a lot of material off. I swapped in the replacement clutch, started the car and everything was fine. Now it has been a week and i've already gone through a full tank of gas and this past Thursday I noticed that the trans grinded a bit while going into second but it still went in. Once it second it accelerated and shifted out of second fine. I thought nothing of it and figured that I didn't press the clutch all of the way but it continues to happen.

It doesn't grind all of the time. If I make sure to press the clutch in all of the way and do a slow shift while the car is moving but motor is at idle it will go in fine. If i try and ship normally it grinds and still goes in. For now I have abandoned second gear and have began shifting from first to third.

I just got out from under the car and verified that the trans oil is at a good level (IE no leaks) and that i still have fluid in the clutch reservoir. Any advice? I filled my trans with Mobil 1 ATF synthetic fluid if it matters. It took almost 3 or 4 quarts.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you verified that the clutch is fully disengaging? put the car in first gear and push the clutch in then rev the engine to 5k and see if the ca creeps forward. if so you have a clutch issue. also do any other gears grind?

if no other gears grind and the clutch checks out ok then it sounds like you may have a weak synchro in 2nd and its time for a rebuild
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

No other gear grinds. I'll rev the car in gear after work. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Sounds pretty clear that you have atleast a busted 1-2 synchro. Since it seems like you have the ability to remove the tranny (the toughest part IMHO) perhpas you should consider rebuilding the tranny yourself? Just the synchros are pretty reasonable. Plus its kinda fun to do anyway. Plenty of good writeups
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Removing the trans was fairly straight forward. I always just assumed that anything internal in the trans is way above my skillset. I'll look through a few write ups but as of now i'm intimidated by it. But I'd rather not spend 1k at this point to rebuild it.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Its really just a big set of legos. If you label everything clearly when taking at apart so you can get it back together properly its pretty easy. You just need access to a press and a puller rental. Google the gear box and look at their rebuild kits
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does not sound like the clutch. The clutch doesnt know what "gear" the trans is in. I would have a reputable shop go through the trans and look at the synchros
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

I got home, threw it in 1st, revved it to 5k and the car did not move an inch. Not the clutch.

Quick Reply: Grinds going into 2nd.