Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with Trans/Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Trans/Shifting Issues

I've noticed i'm having shifting issues when car is hot or driven aggresively. Lots of vibration, can almost feel spinning from center of car. It gets worse with more rpm. Car will grind 3-4-5 occasionally but every gear is just notchy. The rpms will also hang and take some time to come back to idle. After a sprited ride through some twisties and lots of shifting everytime i shift i get a rattling/whirring/grinding noise. It will go away if i shut the car off for 5 mins. But after another 20-30 minutes driving seems like it comes back.

I don't think this is a tune issue as it only happens when car is hot and shifting issues become present. I will get a whirring/grinding noise in every gear if i clutch in and rev it while coasting. In neutral i don't get any noise only if it's in gear and clutch pressed in. The trans is full and fresh fluid put in 6k miles ago. Previous owner said ls7 clutch/new slave and hydraulics installed about 30k miles ago.

I change my clutch fluid rigorously after owning a z06 and spending a lot of time with Ranger at the track. I cannot shift this car hard like i could my old Z i will miss gear and or grind if i try.

Should also mention the rear main seal leaks pretty good when i park it after a good drive. Could that be causing the rpm hanging/vibrations if getting on the clutch disk? I can't smell any burning oil but i know it leaks when pushing the car hard.

I guess either way i'll pull it apart since winter is upon us and car is down for some other repairs.

Quick Reply: Help with Trans/Shifting Issues