Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Transmission Question HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy T56 Transmission Question HELP!!!

Hi,
I am trying to figure out what the rubber o-ring on the main shaft's purpose is. Also, is it located in front, or behind the large main shaft bearing? The manual (schematic) does not show it, and the manual just says "main shaft large tapered bearing and o-ring". Has anyone come across this before? Thanks for any advice!!
Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Purpose? I dunno. It's got a groove cut in the mainshaft for it tho. Perhaps it's to hold the front section components on the mainshaft during pre-assembly at the factory (while they move them around). Or it's a "placeholder" - if you don't hit the o-ring on the mark, then you screwed up assembling something in the lower part of the trans.

I've never put one back together without the o-ring, so I don't know what would happen if you didn't.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Question Groove

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Purpose? I dunno. It's got a groove cut in the mainshaft for it tho. Perhaps it's to hold the front section components on the mainshaft during pre-assembly at the factory (while they move them around). Or it's a "placeholder" - if you don't hit the o-ring on the mark, then you screwed up assembling something in the lower part of the trans.

I've never put one back together without the o-ring, so I don't know what would happen if you didn't.
Is it the groove behind the bearing, or in front of the bearing? Thanks for your help!
Mike
Old 04-15-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have the transmission face-down on the bench, the O-ring is located on top (above) the bearing. The o-ring goes between the bearing and the 5-6 driven gear (which is the press fit gear that goes on the mainshaft after you put the main case on).

Quick Reply: T56 Transmission Question HELP!!!