Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems with reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with reverse

I just picked up 99 Z28 with a T56 and it grinds going into reverse about half the time. I seems like if the car is completely stopped and I hold the clutch to the floor for about 10 seconds I can get it into gear with out any grinding but it still requires some force. If the car is rolling at all even backwards it grinds hard. All the forward gears are fine with no issues at all. Any ideas on this guys? Could it be a fairly easy fix?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

If the car isnt moving at all and it still grinds with the clutch in, then your clutch isnt fully releasing - its allowing the input shaft to the trans to spin some which causes your gears to grind. Could be air in the lines or it could be a worn out clutch.

If your clutch has been acting this way for some time, you could very well have worn out the snycros in your trans which would make the grinding worse.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Well the guy I got the car from said he just put a LS7 clutch in so maybe it was worn from the old clutch being bad. What do I need to do to fix it?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

You car is grinding going into reverse because your clutch is not fully disengaging. Try bleeding your clutch, if that does not work you my have a problem with either your master or slave cylinder leaking. I recommend on getting this fixed before you wear out the syncros or have a clutch failure.

The t56 does not have syncro mesh for reverse. That is why it grinds in reverse and not any others.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The t56 most definitely has a reverse synchro its a brass ring with its own slider. Often during a rebuild you can flip it around to take advantage of the other side which is not used. Op bleed the clutch again and see it it gets better but if its only in reverse you may have a bad reverse synchro. By holding the clutch in you are allowing to the internals to stop completely thus not needing the synchro in reverse and thats why it wont grind.

The fact that it only does it in reverse leads one to believe thats the case. If the clutch wasnt releasing the synchros wouldnt be able to stop the gears and you would grind in other gears also.

Try this test. Next time push the clutch in and immediately go to 1st gear, then quickly pull it out and enter reverse but dont release the clutch. If it goes in smoothly to reverse then its a synchro issue. By putting it in 1st first you make the 1st gear synchro do the work of stopping the internals then immediately putting it into reverse takes the synchro out of the equation.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Will do tomorrow and update. Thanks

Quick Reply: Problems with reverse