Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot Bushing or bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Bushing or bearing?

I know it seems like it's been beaten to death.

Trans is getting rebuilt, replacing everything while it's out. The main cause of my issues was excessive input shaft play coupled with a bored out pilot bushing.

I have a brand new bearing and bushing in front of me just not sure which to install.

Factory calls for a bearing. When bearings go bad they can trash the input shaft, bushing goes bad and it makes noise and eventually you'll need to replace the bushing.

My trans is being shimmed to a tighter spec so i shouldn't be wearing either one of them out in theory..

What do you use and why? Which has lasted longer for you?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bearing on a T56 every time. As long as the input shaft is 100% and the bearing is installed properly it will easily outlast the bushing and provide better support, etc. over time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Bearing on a T56 every time. As long as the input shaft is 100% and the bearing is installed properly it will easily outlast the bushing and provide better support, etc. over time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
This has been my experience--bearing over bushing. I put a brand new bushing in mine when I rebuilt my t56 and it was done in 7K miles. I actually called Steve @ Monster up about it and he told me to go with the bearing. No more problems!

I will say that when I rebuilt my t56 I did not check endplay on the input shaft so there is a chance I have some excessive endplay. However, all things being equal, a bearing will still offer better support and longevity. Bushing is for race cars pulling the trans fairly often.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bushing or bearing?