Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 AM
92v
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slipping

Hi guys, I need some advise about clutches. A little background here, I have an 00' WS6, M6, stock with 116K miles. I've owned the car for about 3 months and it is my daily driver. I have (of course LOL) done a few rolling 1st gear pulls and it pulls pretty hard I thought, for a 350, but it really didn't break those skinny little tires loose much at all.
The car has the winter tires on it right now, 215/60-16 Bridgestone Blizak all season tires. I haven't driven or even ridden in any other LS1 cars ever, so my experience with these is limited to this car only. All of my previous experience with muscle cars is from the 1960 era big block Chryslers and 1 Ford, so they tend to be my reference points and that was from long ago in a far away galaxy..

So here is what is going on, last week I passed a car on the way home from work and it was a 60-90mph 5th gear pass. Should be no big deal, but I thought I noticed the car felt like the clutch was slipping a little. When I got home and got out I could smell clutch burning. The rest of the week of normal driving didn't have a problem, but I was being aware..
On Friday I accelerated through 3rd, 4th and 5th briskly, but not WOT and was rewarded with clutch stink again. My 45 years of working on things, says the clutch is toast and that is just the way it is. But, times are tuff and moneys tight so I need to know if there is anything on these cars that can be adjusted or bled or tweaked that might be a fix? I am older and have some medical problems so I will have to pay someone to do any heavy mechanical work and thought I would see if there might be something to check first. Sorry for the long read, just wanted to fill in some background.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by 92v; 04-07-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

You could attempt the bleed the system out, but with those miles and having slipped it to the point that you could smell burning clutch, my bet is that its toast.

If money is tight, you could looks for a used unit. Some frown on it, but if you know what youre looking for you can save some coin. I bought a used LS7 setup out of an 08 Z06 that only had 4k miles on it. It was taken out and replaced with a twin disc because they put a blower on it and needed some extra holding power. Got it for half of what the cheapest "new" unit could be had for and it came with a slave.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
92v
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bacon
You could attempt the bleed the system out, but with those miles and having slipped it to the point that you could smell burning clutch, my bet is that its toast.

If money is tight, you could looks for a used unit. Some frown on it, but if you know what youre looking for you can save some coin. I bought a used LS7 setup out of an 08 Z06 that only had 4k miles on it. It was taken out and replaced with a twin disc because they put a blower on it and needed some extra holding power. Got it for half of what the cheapest "new" unit could be had for and it came with a slave.
Thanks Bacon, I hadn't even considered a used one, but that is an idea.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping