Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Tranny Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Tranny Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

My t56 is having a few problems. Now it has an aftermarket shifter that is pretty short and firm, I don't know the brand. Now here's the problem. When driving regularly around town and what not it shifts fine from gear to gear. However if I quickly shift from first to second, second grinds. Even at RPMs under 2.5k. Now if I'm driving regularly and I'm in 3rd the shifter wiggles back and forth slightly but enough to notice. Now the real problem that I'm having is when I am racing every gear is pretty stiff. Now where I really need help is when I'm racing and try to slam third it's soooooo hard to put into third it even hurts my wrist sometimes. It's very hard and still wiggles when in gear. Then when I try to slam fourth it grinds, every time. And 5th is very stiff to fet into gear. This is only at high RPMs. I've been told that I'm having problems with third because of a possible bent shift fork and the grind in fourth because of a bad synchro.
Can anyone help me with this?? ALL HELP AND OPINIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!
I can answer all questions to the best of my knowledge as well.
THANKS ALOT GUYS!!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Have you done or do you know of the "drill mod" to the clutch master cylinder? The clutch hydraulics in these cars are notorious for not allowing quick shifts at high engine speeds. Also, check the clutch fluid to see if it's dirty; or the system might need bled of air.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Teching In

I've heard of it but never really looked into it. Say it doesn't have the drill mod, would that explain the shaking shifter and grinds at high RPMs?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonBT/A
I've heard of it but never really looked into it. Say it doesn't have the drill mod, would that explain the shaking shifter and grinds at high RPMs?
No. Most likely your trans needs to be opened up, inspected and needs work. 99% chance there are worn out parts in there.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

I am not a manual transmission rebuilder so I can't answer specific questions. As a fellow T56 owner and gear rower I can say both above posters are correct. Your transmission needs to come apart and internals need repaired - most common are bent shift fork and synchros. I recently blew my 3rd gear synchro, i was really torn what to do without dumping 2k in my trans so i bought a used 26k mile stock trans and sold my "wounded" trans to someone who knew how to rebuild. i will run my stock trans for a couple summers then get it trickd out by Tick later. An adjustable clutch master is definitely a must have so you can adjust the clutch release and free play. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Yeah I know this tranny has seen better days. Im going to look around on craigslist and see if i can find one for cheap. I also have two more questions.

1.) What could I get for the current one if i sell it?

2.) What has to be done to install a t56 from a GTO? Ive heard they dont just bolt in and some work has to be done.

Thanks again for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My input:
The problems stated are not all related ....so there is not "one" fix.
The levershake in 3rd is likely the bent fork ....when the fork bends , it bends were it meets the rail. This affects both 3rd and 4th.
The clash in 4th may be partially due to the fork isue but is more likely due to poor release issues ...as in the other gears.
Quick shifting( with a complete clutch release) id difficult with the restriction in the hydraulic feed line. Result of this restriction: stiff shifts into gears.
This hard shift you feel is the synchronizers getting gross wear while fighting a poor clutch release.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with all this lol. The trans needs to come out and be gone through. Then there's the matter of the clutch not releasing which could be either the clutch assembly or hydraulics

Quick Reply: T56 Tranny Problems. PLEASE HELP!!!