Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Squealing and Engagement Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Squealing and Engagement Issues

I haven't been on the forum for a while... but I got PROBLEMS!!!

So I think my problem started when I was pulling out of my driveway one day... and I heard a squealing noise. It reminded me of a sound that furniture makes when you drag it along a hard surface. It was only when I was pulling out in 1st gear... and it didn't really do it at all once I started driving. At this point... this was the only thing I noticed. I figured that it was super humid so maybe the initial slipping was wet or something. It's been doing that for about a week.

Yesterday... when I pushed in the clutch pedal... it was not disengaging. I noticed that my revs did not fall and I could not easily get out of whatever gear I was in. That went away after I pulled over.

TODAY... the clutch makes a really bad squeaky noise ONLY when I have the clutch pressed, and in any gear. It sounds awful... like something is rattled loose or something. But it's definitely loud enough to where you can hear it from inside and outside of the car with my monster loud exhaust. It's pretty hard to get it into any gear. I know that the clutch is not disengaging fully because I can tell. This is all stuff that's happening while the car is stopped. I will try to get a nice sound clip if I can.

I have a Spec stage 3 clutch that my GF and I put on about 5 months ago. I got the GM slave from a reputable sponsor bran new. I replaced the flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, and slave cylinder which came with a throwout bearing.

I forgot to mention that the master is stock and original and that the pedal feels fine and firm AND that there was fluid in the reservoir.

I'm banking on a throwout bearing. What do you all think? Thanks.

02 Z28 T56

Last edited by chewybacca11; 08-06-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the sound you are describing and the fact that the noise is there with the pedal is depressed it seems to indicate that you are hearing a noise associated with the pilot bearing. If the pilot is worn/damaged or not flush is can bind on the input-shaft. Additionally, if the shaft is bent/damaged it too can cause a sound like this as it contacts the pilot bearing. If it was a TOB then the noise would typically be there with the pedal released and it would go away with the pedal depressed.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree and a pilot bearing issue can cause the disengagement issue as the input shaft is moving around. I'd get it fixed asap to limit damage to the input shaft and wear on the clutch.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Is there a way to instal the pilot bearing wrong? How would I know if it wasn't flush... is that something you could tell just by looking at it when I installed it?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can put it in backwards or damage it during install. Feel free to post pics.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Staging Lane

Well I already stopped driving it and I start ripping it all apart tomorrow
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having the bearing installed backwards or having it cocked (not mounted in plane) can lead to this for certain.

Quick Reply: Clutch Squealing and Engagement Issues