Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch pedal return spring

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 02:43 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default clutch pedal return spring

OK, I got the spring, but I cannot for the life of me get it on. I'm not even sure which way I'm supposed to orient the spring to install it. Does anyone have instructions or pictures of the spring installed? Thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 04:40 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Nevermind, I got it Man, that thing was a PITA.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what I've heard. Any tips for the next person?
Old 05-01-2004, 09:40 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I did a search a found a thread that had some partial instructions on here, but I'm not sure which one it was. Just look through the list with a search for "clutch return spring". Once you're ready to install the new spring, make sure the flat part of the spring is facing away from you, and put the right leg of the spring in the right bracket first. After you get the right leg in, pull the clutch pedal up towards you as far as you can and rotate the spring assembly until the flat part of the spring nears the "catch" area. (kind of hard to describe, you'll see what I mean when you get under the dash) The flat part of the spring takes a little forcing to get in, but will go in there. After you get it in there, take a needle nose pair of pliers and grab the left leg and put it in the bracket.

Evidently there is a recall for this exact problem (broken or noisy clutch return spring), so if this happens to anyone else, I would just take it in and let the dealer do it. I was unaware of the recall before I went and bought the spring, and wouldn't you know it, the dealer I bought it from didn't tell me about the recall. It can be done, but just be prepared to spend a while and cut your hands up a little. I know the instructions sound a little like jibberish, but once you're looking at the whole assembly, it'll make sense.