Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Having problems with clutch Please help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems with clutch Please help?

yah, I just got my 99 T/A about 2 months ago and have had alot of problems with the clutch. The guy I bought it of from said he replaced the clutch but it was replaced with the factory clutch. It is a ws6 with a 5.7 but I dont know much about this car yet. I start out in first and you can hear the motor rev before trany kicks in. I know this is bad but it also does it in every gear. It does a rev before catching and taking hold. I am going to do a clutch upgrade on it but I dont realy know much about this car, or what to do about clutches. So if i could get a little input that would be great. I dont plan on racing it but would like to be able to atleast get on it without it slipping the clutch. What should I go with as far as clutches and hydrolics if needed. Thanks
Old 05-17-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One thing you'll definitely want to do is upgrade your hydraulics to '01+ units (master and slave cylinder). If you are planning to make a little more than stock power a Z06 clutch would likely If you are planning to make a lot more than stock power then I'd look at a SPEC or Ram unit. I'm going to do one of those 2 as soon as I can find a shop who can fit me in.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:10 PM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

this might be a dumb question but was the clutch all the way out when you heard the engine rev and then grab, or were you still pressing on it a little bit when it revved? If it's all the way out and still doing this then I agree with 99C5, go with a spec 3. As far as hydraulics you might be able to get away with just swapping out the slave.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Teching In

no It does it when you are cruising along and throttle up a little to maybe pick up some speed and then it will engage my foot isnt even near the clutch pedal. I do know tho that the clutch seem to engage alot later in the pedal than I think it should. Its about one inch from top of pedal before it engages. This is to 99C5JA I am not realy looking to ad alot or even any horspower in the future but I just want a clutch that will hold while I am at a light an a cady starts to blow me away lol. You know its pretty embarassing when a cady can blow you away when your clutch doesnt hold lol I also wanted to ask about the 01 mod. where can I get something like this?

Last edited by gatur1999; 05-17-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like your clutch is messed up. First off do the drill mod it worked great for me. Use the bushman method it worked great for me (do a search on Bushman and you'll find it). I also heard to put the car in like 5th or 6th gear at about 50-60 mph and stomp on the gas. From what i hear you can tell if the clutch is slipping then. If it does slip then you need a new clutch. Also when race your car or accelerate hard and shift gears does the clutch fully engage right away when shifting? You should be able to tell if its slipping then. Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Teching In

yeah TransAmJo I tried the 5th to 6th gear at about 60 and the clutch deffently is slipping. I also tried the accelerate hard and shift deal and the clutch doesnt engage right away. So I am sure now that the clutch is junk but I am not sure what clutch to go with, I have read alot of threads on this and you hear alot of talk about the ram and the spec 3 but I dont know which one to go with and what all to replace when it comes down to doing it. I have been told to upgrade to 01 + hydrolics but dont know where I can purchase this. I want a clutch that will hold what horsepower I do have and I dont plan on adding much more I just want something that will also be as smooth of a shift and ride as it should be for a normal drive. I will also look up the drill mod you told me about thank you that helps me out alot. If you could help me on what type of up grade I should get on the hydrolics that would help too. Should I go with ram or the spec 3. I dont want alot of trouble with the clutch afterwards. Thanks again
Old 05-18-2004, 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

If you don't plan to mod the car much go with the Z06 clutch and flywheel.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

If the clutch has been replaced, and you don't plan on extensive mods, the stock clutch (in stock form) should work. Your problem is that it's not hooking up correctly. I know of a few reasons for this. When the clutch was replaced, it is possible that the flywheel was not turned (this should be done at each clutch replacement). Another possibility I've seen recently is an oil (or water) leak onto the clutch surface. I've seen a perfectly good clutch replaced because oil was leaking onto it from a valve cover. Also check to ensure that the hydraulics are properly bled (i think it's possible on these units...?). Just a reminder to check the simple stuff first...
HTH,
Todd
Old 05-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks I defently will check for any air pockets and also oil even tho I dont think it is that oil deal. I guess the stock clucth would probably be ok I just am a little leary of it with it just being replaced thanks

Quick Reply: Having problems with clutch Please help?