Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Install Help

Today I attempted my first clutch install with a couple friends. None of us had installed a clutch before, but we have pulled 6 motors in the past 3 years and do all of our own maintenance. We were installing a Monster Clutch on an 04 GTO.

First problem we ran into was that the clutch was not completely centered thanks to the crappy clutch alignment tool and our lack of experience. This led to the input shaft not being able to go into the pilot bearing. Instead of taking everything apart, as we should have, one of my friends said we could begin to bleed the clutch and that would center the disk. We had a few beers in us and he seemed confident it would work so we went for it. We heard a pop noise and found that the throw-out bearing had popped off and a little piece of plastic cracked off of it. That's when we realized it was a bad idea. Lesson learned.

Anyway, we got the clutch disk centered and everything went together as it should. We attempted to bleed the clutch, but the fluid started leaking out from between the transmission and bellhousing. Nothing came out the bleeder this time.

Is this because of the crack on the throw-out bearing? If so, can I use the stock one with the Monster Clutch or do I have to buy one directly from Monster? There is a Summit Racing near me, so if I need a new one, buying locally would be ideal.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If something has cracked off the slave then I'd just get a new one. As far as I know you don't need a Monster slave but I don't have experience with them.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monster Clutch ships OEM GM slave cylinders with thier clutches. You can pick one up from Summit.

Quick Reply: Clutch Install Help