Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Occasionally "missing" 3rd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Occasionally "missing" 3rd gear?

So, a couple times when I hit 3rd gear under hard acceleration, the shifter will travel into what appears to be the 3rd gear gate, but will not actually be in third gear as when I let the clutch out the car is in neutral. So, ill step back in on the clutch, and try to push the shifter farther up to ensure it is all the way in 3rd, but it doesn't move. So, then I try to pull it out of third and it is stuck in the gate and requires a pretty good jerk to get it back to the neutral gate. This has only happened twice, but I'm wondering what is going on. It almost feels as if its kinda between the 3rd and 5th gate like I moved the shifter too far to the passenger side when going to grab 3rd. Can this happen where the shifter is actually stuck between 3rd and 5th? Or what is the problem? I realize I've probably just missed the 3rd gear gate but was wondering whats actually happening. Thanks ahead of time!
-Cody
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The syncro is probably fucked.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There may be an underlying mechanical issue causing this however if everything is good on the mechanical side and it proves to just be driver error, the Pro 5.0 shifter really cleans up the 2-3 shift (much more linear feel to it).

Quick Reply: Occasionally "missing" 3rd gear?