Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Reverse Hard to engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Reverse Hard to engage

2000 Camaro T56 with Core/Hurst shifter. All forward gears are smooth shifting. However, I have to struggle to get it in reverse. Is there any kind of alignment adjustment in the trans or shifter? I installed a new plastic sleeve when installing the shifter.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

assuming your reverse lock out solenoid is working..the typical reason shifting into gears is hard, especially reverse, is the hydraulics need bleeding and/or have become weak and need replacing. The MC is suspect in these cases but it can also be the TO/slave itself.

you can jack up the rear of the car (put on jack stands) start motor, put in gear, hold clutch pedal down....do the rear tires move?...they should not. If they do your clutch is not full disengaging which typically means hydraulics are failing
Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. It's a brand new Wildwood M/C so I don't think the problem is there. However, the car has never been driven yet so suspect you may be correct concerning the slave cylinder bleeding.

Thanks for the advice

OBTW, the album for my car is at https://ls1tech.com/forums/members/s...t56-31359.html
Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Stovebolt99
Thanks for the info. It's a brand new Wildwood M/C so I don't think the problem is there. ]
...I would try bleeding it again. Perhaps there is still air in the system from the "new" MC install.

I also have the Wilwood with my McLeod twin, nice MC. I bench bleed mine first as installed in the car it was at an angle that did not allow the air to get out. YMMV, my application is a custom pedal in a car that never came with a stick

Quick Reply: T56 Reverse Hard to engage