Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Yet another 1-2 shift problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 1-2 shift problem....

Background: 05 gto 125k miles just bought from private seller. He says he just replaced clutch resurfaced fly, and new bearing (not sure of brand)
I have read countless posts, sticky post, and emailed tick. Yet I have no direct answer.

The problem is shifting from 1-2nd above 4,000 rpm, it will get blocked most the time but sometimes it will grind in. Shifting into any other gear at any rpm is not a problem. It goes into first and reverse most the time on the first try sitting still. This makes me think it's not the master cylinder (I'm still getting tick because I have heard great things)

Also the shifter in 4th gear at 1500rpm and below shakes.
There was new fluid out in the master cylinder when I bought the car.
I do not notice any fluid being used which makes me think the slave is fine.
I would just say screw it and have tick do a complete trans rebuild and master cylinder but they are booked out until the next coming of Jesus....not really but like 2 months. They would also have to keep the car for a week or 2 which is very inconvenient considering this is my dd.
I have read slave could be improperly shimmed, master cylinder just needs an touch of god (tick), new clutch, new syncros, trans rebuild.

Can anyone pinpoint the problem without me having to spend thousands of dollars and waiting until second coming of Jesus!?!?
I will provide more info as needed.
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Probably worn 2nd gear syncro. Mine did the same thing, but all gears. The result of banging 2nd over and over.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Kingjacob thanks for you input.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Worn 2nd gear synchronizer blocker ring.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

how much free play do you have? The problem could be your pressure plate finger height might be out of spec so it would be best to check to see if they aren't all bent and then next i would check the condition of the clutch disc because that could cause clutch drag which makes you think that the gears are grinding and make sure to always replace the release bearing (throwout bearing) with the pressure plate and clutch disc.

Quick Reply: Yet another 1-2 shift problem....