Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Install Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tick Install Issues

Hey Guys, Ran into this while installing my master.
Backstory:
This is an Automatic V6 > T56 LS1 swap car
My T/A was destroyed in an accident. I purchased a v6 car and am using my T/A as the donor. Obviously that means I had to make My own Master cylinder holes. I created a very good template, And I do not believe my location to be off, let alone by this much. Check out my photos:

The Master sits on this on backing of the stud here. (Circled in green)
I cannot use my donor car to check, because that stud has snapped off. As you can see in the photo (white car) The stud is missing and the firewall is all bent there.

Is it SUPPOSED to sit on top of this? I'd assume no myself, But I wanted to ask you guys. Perhaps tick will chime in.

Thanks Ahead of time guys!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I don't even remember seeing that in my TA when I did my tick master. If you can identify what it's going to (possibly nothing at all) maybe cut it off? I agree sitting on top of it like you're showing is not right.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I don't even remember seeing that in my TA when I did my tick master. If you can identify what it's going to (possibly nothing at all) maybe cut it off? I agree sitting on top of it like you're showing is not right.
Thank you for your reply!

Cutting it off is what I'm leaning towards.
In my A4 Daily v6 car, it only holds a cable for the steering column in place.

What makes me curious though, is that my M6 car HAD the stud there (until the accident) originally as well. Usually, I'd say I made my hole incorrectly, But my template was spot on.
(I Never had a tick in my M6 car before the accident, SO i cant say that it would or wouldn't have hit the stud, based on a 100% stock mounting location.)
I also don't have access to another M6 Car to see what this stud does on one.

Still curious to hear what Tick and other users have to say!

Last edited by Blasko; 04-15-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Hopped on a Facebook grpup today and got some replies. Seems m6 cars do not have this stud? In my 3rd photo, you can see SOMETHING was there at some point.

Either way, I'm just going to cut that b**** off.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That piece is for the a4 shift/park lockout cable. It does not come on m6 cars for that very reason. if you use a stock master its not a problem however the tick is bigger and it has to be removed. I used an air chisel and broke the spot welds.

HOWEVER be sure to make a small brace plate for that area of the firewall. I used 1/8" aluminum and riveted it in. The m6 firewall already has a brcae tack welded to the inside and the removal of that stud will furtehr weaken the a4 wall. If you dont put the brace in the firewall will flex and crack its happened many times. I could actually watch my firewall flex before I installed the plate with the stock master.

EDIT: saw you fund the reasoning just dont forget to put a plate either on the inside of the firewall.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbird555
That piece is for the a4 shift/park lockout cable. It does not come on m6 cars for that very reason. if you use a stock master its not a problem however the tick is bigger and it has to be removed. I used an air chisel and broke the spot welds.

HOWEVER be sure to make a small brace plate for that area of the firewall. I used 1/8" aluminum and riveted it in. The m6 firewall already has a brcae tack welded to the inside and the removal of that stud will furtehr weaken the a4 wall. If you dont put the brace in the firewall will flex and crack its happened many times. I could actually watch my firewall flex before I installed the plate with the stock master.

EDIT: saw you fund the reasoning just dont forget to put a plate either on the inside of the firewall.

Thanks for posting. I haven't heard/read of them cracking, but i completely believe it. I noticed the original M6 car had an extra plate. Now that you've said that I'm definitely adding one!

Quick Reply: Tick Install Issues