Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny issue?

car is a 98 TA WS6 m6..... Gears feel really knotchy.... hard shifting 3rd and 4th 5th and 6th will grind right when you shift it.... reverse will grind and kick you in or out of gear really depends.... The previous owner says he replaced the clutch and slave less then 10k ago.... Hydros feel good on the pedal.... Transmission shop says it could be a bushing or something in the aftermarket shifter so I ordered a pro 5.0 waiting on it to come in but I dont think personally thats the problem just doing their problem solving before I take it back there so they dont get stuck on thats the problem.... What do YOU! guys think it is?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Try this. With the car turned off, does it shift smoothly? Then if you turn the car on and shift through all the gears at idle, it's hard to shift?

If so, it's almost always the master cylinder. The stock master cylinder in the F-body is garbage. The stock replacements are also generally garbage.

You could try bleeding it out and getting all the old crappy, black fluid out of there, but the chances are that master is gone.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Teching In

where is the bleeder located?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 AM

If you are under the car, behind the front wheel, looking up at the bellhousing, the bleeder is at the 10:30 position on the bellhousing. You will see the hydraulic clutch line going into the transmission. The bleeder valve is above the hydraulic lines. It's an 11mm socket and ratchet, and you can just barely get in there.

A lot of guys will cut holes in their floor near the gas pedal to get better access to the bleeder. Others who ended up replacing the clutch tend to install the remote bleeder while the transmission is down so we never have to deal with it again. Either option allows you to bleed the clutch as a one man operation.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Teching In

I see..... what is a recommended master to get? never replaced one.... Found a RAM adujustable on sale worth it?....... replaced about everything else on these cars but never messed around with the tranny type stuff... OH and darth I tried this morning... with the car off... clutch pressed in the gears feel wonderful.... once I turn the key... the gears are notchy as hell.... and hard to push in gear

Last edited by GROWLNSS; 04-23-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 PM

yeah, that's the classic "weak master" symptom. you can try bleeding it and getting fresh fluid, but you're delaying the inevitable.

Tick master cylinder is the best one. its expensive, and a PITA to install, but once in, you'll never regret it. sorry it took so long to get back. I lost track of this thread
Old 04-29-2015, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll second the tick. I've never had a pro 5.0 but I'm sure that and the new MC will make a night and day difference for your driving experience.

Quick Reply: Tranny issue?