Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stock Hurst Shifter causing grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Hurst Shifter causing grinding?

Is it common to have synchro grind with the stock Hurst shifter at high RPM? I shift at 6,800rpm, shifting at normal driving mannerisms is smooth just not at WOT over 5,000rpm.

It was not a problem when the car was just bolt on's, but after doing the heads and cam I get some grinding going between the gears.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your shifter have a lot of miles on it? My stock Hurst developed some slop in it I traced to the half spherical bushings the stick pivots on. I rotated the bushings 180 deg so a un-worn part of the bushing mated with the shifter body. My Hurst never caused grinding though.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guppymech
Does your shifter have a lot of miles on it? My stock Hurst developed some slop in it I traced to the half spherical bushings the stick pivots on. I rotated the bushings 180 deg so a un-worn part of the bushing mated with the shifter body. My Hurst never caused grinding though.
The car is about 132,000 miles on it, my MGW Shifter should arrive tomorrow. I will be throwing that on and then flushing the fluid and doing syncromesh. I know that T56's are also not the greatest in F-Body spec to handle high revs and definitely do experience syncro issues, but I haven't really beaten up on the car much in quite some time lol

Quick Reply: Stock Hurst Shifter causing grinding?