Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can I switch fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I switch fluids?

I am currently running Amsoil ATF Synthetic and I don't have any complaints, although sometimes it has to warm up during cold weather to work smoothly. I was thinking of switching to Pennzoil Synchromesh or even going OEM Dexron. Would it be ok to switch fluids from Amsoil? Or should I just stick to Amsoil? Thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by impala_ws6
I am currently running Amsoil ATF Synthetic and I don't have any complaints, although sometimes it has to warm up during cold weather to work smoothly. I was thinking of switching to Pennzoil Synchromesh or even going OEM Dexron. Would it be ok to switch fluids from Amsoil? Or should I just stick to Amsoil? Thanks!
ANY of the currently available synchromesh fluids are THICKER THAN ANY Dex 3 type fluid in actual viscosity (whether synthetic OR mineral based), save for a few hard to find, expensive fluids.

So, IF you feel the thin, higher viscosiy index, Amsoil ATF takes a long time to warm up in cold weather, know that ANY readily available synchromesh fluids (whether synthetic OR mineral based) will take all that much longer.

HOW does it behave in the cold? Notchy? Grinding?

Quick Reply: Can I switch fluids?