Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1 clutch bleeding problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 clutch bleeding problems

Hi, I have an Trans Am 99 with a manual gearbox and I have just installed the Tick master cylinder and just needs to bleed the system. I did benchbleed it as good as possible before I installed it. I know tried to use the mityvac that I bought and I get bubbles. After a while when there are no more bubbles I release the vacuum and presses the clutch pedal several times. After this I put the mityvac in again and I get a lot of bubbles. I have been doing this for a while now and it seems the bubbles never stopes. As soon as it looks ok and I press the clutch, more comes out.
Also if the bubbles seems to be gone and I increase the vacuum preasure a little more, a lot of more bubbles comes out. This will take several hours I think, unless something is wrong so air get's in somehone?

When I press the clutch pedal it feels ok I guess, it comes up from the floor so not that it's stays down or so, which I guess it might do if there are to much air in the system, but I'm not sure I would dare to drive it. I still have to adjust the pedal and since it's now at it's shortest position I guess it might be difficult to bleed the system because of that?
Should I try and adjust it and run the vehicle and continue with the bleeding after or should it work even when the pedal is as it is now?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Tick in my CETA - tried the same techniques as you with the mityvac with the same results. The long and short of it is - I had to get underneath the car (I have a kwiklift) and bleed the system the traditional way. I had my son working the pedal while I handled the bleed screw. The angle was difficult and I bought a few small and versatile 1/4" drive socket wrenches. I also tied the socket to the wrench as I had read stories about people dropping it into the bellhousing.

I also followed the instructions for getting that last bit of air out and my clutch pedal has been perfect for 2,000 miles.

Others may have had success with the mityvac - I didn't.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up on the mityvac and did it the traditional way. I was by my own, but a piece of wood and the electric seat made it possible to hold the clutch down while I opened the screw. I also let it be open for a while and let gravity run some fluid in it. The clutch feels ok, so I hope it worked

Quick Reply: LS1 clutch bleeding problems