Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydraulic Bleeding Nightmare, Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Bleeding Nightmare, Help...

Have a 99 z28 with a tick master (and '02 slave cylinder) Ibought in mid 2013 from ws6store. Awesome unit, worked flawlessly up until now..

Was experiencing a 2-3 inch play in my clutch pedal, but was still able to shift. Started bleeding the system only to accidentally starve the reservoir...

After bleeding w/ ticks speedbleeder repeatedly (without closing the valve),

Unhooking the master from the slave and having a friend help "bench bleed" the master,

And even after buying a mityvac (which i might be using improperly)

STILL NO PRESSURE!

Granted, there was a bit if pedal pressure before "bench bleeding" (which i think caused the no pressure feel permanently) what could i have done wrong?? Did my tick master finally take a dump?

I've been trying for 12 hours, LITERALLY...

Tips on mityvac usage, bench bleeding it correctly and even testing for a bad master cylinder is highly appreciated..

Thank you.

Last edited by XDeath; 09-05-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 09-05-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

If you leave the clutch line disconnected, the pedal should be rock solid. If it gives, then the master is likely bad.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
If you leave the clutch line disconnected, the pedal should be rock solid. If it gives, then the master is likely bad.
So disconnecting the master cylinder line from the slave side with no pedal pressure is definitely a bad master cylinder? Or could it just be from having way too much air in the system?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hydraulic Bleeding Nightmare, Help...

It should have pressure. Disconnect it from the slave and push the clutch with your hand. Don't push to hard, but it should be rock solid. If it's not your are losing pressure through your master.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Too much air can cause all kinds of crap. You said you've bench bled it in the car, which is pretty straight forward. So assuming you got most of the air out the pedal should be pretty firm if the line is disconnected.

I've had very good luck bench bleeding my master, but you almost need a third person to watch the reservoir while you're doing it. If not, check it after every third bleed.

I do it similarly to brakes. Assistant presses pedal, I push in the valve. Assistant holds pedal down until I say ok. Assistant lets pedal up slow. Rinse and repeat. Usually the first couple of strokes will blast out air. After that, it's liquid. I do three reservoirs full. If at any time the reservoir goes empty start all over.

Then I hook up the line and bleed the slave. I usually close and open the bleeder each stroke like with brakes. I run the bleeder up through the floor and do this in the drivers seat. Check reservoir frequently. Don't let it go empty or you start all over.

After bleeding a few reservoir fills through the slave I usually still have to pump it a few times to build full pressure, but then it stays good.

The above method has worked for me pretty well for bleeding. But I typically don't get pedal resistance until the pumping up state ebd

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Bleeding Nightmare, Help...