Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last question is whether the angled UMI short stick work with this?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharcyde50
How do the throws compare to MGW?
Regardless of how the throw length compares, one of the things I do NOT like about the MGW is the 'offset' handle holder.

YES it does give more handle position adjustment, but it is also one more thing to loosen up on you (or even break) during a hard shifting, 20 minute open track session, where you are paying MUCHO DINERO for those said 20 minutes of time.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Regardless of how the throw length compares, one of the things I do NOT like about the MGW is the 'offset' handle holder.

YES it does give more handle position adjustment, but it is also one more thing to loosen up on you (or even break) during a hard shifting, 20 minute open track session, where you are paying MUCHO DINERO for those said 20 minutes of time.
That and the fact it uses springs instead of Belleville washers are the things I don't like about my MGW. Although it's never loosened...
Old 10-01-2015, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
im just curious how this does compared to a mgw shifter as the mgw is considered the best shifter for our cars out there. I have the mgw and have no issues with it .
Originally Posted by SoonerBrad88
In for reviews as well. I just recently upgraded my stock one to a 5.0 and I'm not impressed at all. Doesn't feel any different than stock and hasn't improved hard shifting, if anything its worsened it I feel.
In a nutshell, its shorter, faster, narrower, and more consistent. We do not rely on centering springs that will fatigue over time, causing missed shifts and the need to rebuild. We utilize a floating stub design that allow us to pre-load the stub so that it finds the next gear in the pattern for you. When you drive the car with our shifter it feels as if you are only making a back and forth motion when you shift. The narrowed gates and the pr-load take care of most of the side to side movement. The Pro 5.0 was a pretty good shifter for its time, but like most shifters left a lot to be desired. We have filled all these voids with our shifter.

Originally Posted by drain89
My last question is whether the angled UMI short stick work with this?
It should. Make sure the bolt holes from center to center are 7/8" apart. That would be the only variable, but that is the industry standard for spacing.

Originally Posted by dailydriver

It's interesting you should bring this up. On that note we run open track session, usually 20-30min, with our C6 Z06 and have never had an issue with handles loosening on that car or any others. That would be disappointing to have to stop during a track session to tighten your handle up. In those track days you do pay BIG bucks and are usually only given the opportunity for 3-4 sessions in a day. At least that's how it works at Barbers Motorsports Park. Matter of fact we will be there this weekend. Hopefully will get some worthy video to post.

Originally Posted by drain89
That and the fact it uses springs instead of Belleville washers are the things I don't like about my MGW. Although it's never loosened...
Obviously we are not a big fan of the spring loaded shifters. Over time they fatigue and become inconsistent. The bigger problem with this is something most people don't take into account, you as a person. When your shifter is new it performs at its best and your body develops muscle memory to that feeling. Over time you will continue to shift the same way, but the shifter slowly stops performing its part of the job as good as it did when you learned to drive with that shifter. The result of this is missed shifts due to you relying on the shifter to do its part in finding the next gear. Now you find yourself constantly adapting because your shifter goes into limp mode.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here ya go F-body stock / Hurst **** lovers. Fresh out of the machine shop. This is a Hurst **** with M16-1.5 threads like you wanted. We are machining these now, then they will go to powder coating. After powder coating they will be ready to ship out. Should start shipping early next week. Click the link below to purchase with this option. they will go fast so don't wait around.

Click This Link To Purchase M16-1.5" Shifter & Handle Combo

Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At least you guys listened! Now if we could just get the price down a little more reasonable lol.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports
When you drive the car with our shifter it feels as if you are only making a back and forth motion when you shift.

^^^THIS is what I want to hear!!

I want to be able to shift almost as if I have one of those S1 sequential conversion shifters, without risking the potential synchro/blocker ring damage they pose to a regular, H pattern T56.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I got my shifter installed tonight, and if the rain lets up a little tomorrow, I'll take the car for a spin, take some video, and give my impressions of it for everyone. I'm not crazy about driving a 800+hp car in the rain on race tires.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Teching In

I installed mine yesterday with little to no trouble. I had to file out a couple bolt holes to get the perfect fit, but it was no big deal. It's a huge upgrade over the stock hurst shifter I was running. Really pleased with the quality.

It's been raining like crazy so I haven't had a real opportunity to get on it, but I did drive it for a few miles today. They weren't kidding when they said it literally finds gear. It even seemed to alleviate some of my first-second gear syncro issue.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I drove my car today as well, and it is dramatically different than my Kirban that it replaced. It is very 'tight' gear to gear, and the shifts are very short. The 2-3 shift was very smooth.

It's been raining here as well, the roads are all wet, so I wasn't able to do any kind of power shifts, but just cruising around it felt really tight.

The position of the shifter is a little different than my Kirban was, so it will take a little getting used to it. For example, cruising up to a stop light holding in the clutch, it's hard to tell what gear it's in just by it's position, but in time I will get used to it.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6Wes
I installed mine yesterday with little to no trouble. I had to file out a couple bolt holes to get the perfect fit, but it was no big deal. It's a huge upgrade over the stock hurst shifter I was running. Really pleased with the quality.

It's been raining like crazy so I haven't had a real opportunity to get on it, but I did drive it for a few miles today. They weren't kidding when they said it literally finds gear. It even seemed to alleviate some of my first-second gear syncro issue.
Appreciate the opportunity to work wit you and the feedback on here. I went ahead and addressed the hole issue, so that wont be a problem in the future. Let us know what you think once it stops raining and your able to put a few miles on it. I would recommend cruising for a bit in order to get used to the narrower gates and quicker shifts. We all will look forward to pictures, videos, or other types of feedback. Glad your enjoying it.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I drove my car today as well, and it is dramatically different than my Kirban that it replaced. It is very 'tight' gear to gear, and the shifts are very short. The 2-3 shift was very smooth.

It's been raining here as well, the roads are all wet, so I wasn't able to do any kind of power shifts, but just cruising around it felt really tight.

The position of the shifter is a little different than my Kirban was, so it will take a little getting used to it. For example, cruising up to a stop light holding in the clutch, it's hard to tell what gear it's in just by it's position, but in time I will get used to it.
Glad to see your post on here. I was looking forward to your feedback. The shifter is built to be tight and definitive, but it will ease up a little after a few hundred miles of driving. I think you will find that it works out perfectly in a very short time. When I first put mine in I had to get used to the location difference from my other shifter, and knowing what gear I was in. This is primarily due to the narrower gates. Once you drive it a little and you build a little muscle memory and confidence it will be a great thing that you will come to appreciate. I was slightly concerned at first too, but now that I've drove it a while I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the narrow gates. Makes the car really sporty feeling and a lot of fun to drive aggressively.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe I missed it but I'm curious to how tall the stick is compared to a stock hurst? Been using a short stick for awhile now.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mac62989
Maybe I missed it but I'm curious to how tall the stick is compared to a stock hurst? Been using a short stick for awhile now.
I'm not sure, but I suspect they are fairly close. Maybe some one can chime in on this one.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Here is a side profile showing how short it is. My **** isn't all the way down, so another **** would make it even shorter.

Attached Thumbnails New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available-20151010_101906.jpg  

Last edited by The Alchemist; 10-12-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a side profile showing how short it is. My **** isn't all the way down, so another **** would make it even shorter.
Looks good man. I like the carbon touches in the interior.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks. I'm just trying to keep the car somewhat modern without it looking cheap.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I'm just trying to keep the car somewhat modern without it looking cheap.
Well your doing a good job. I'm not even a fan of the carbon fiber look (in most applications) and I like the way that looks.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Placed my order for shifter with M16-1.5"
Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cold Zero
Placed my order for shifter with M16-1.5"
Good deal. We will get it out ASAP. Hopefully have tracking out to you today. I am powder coating handles for that shifter after lunch today.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:50 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I drove my car back and forth to work today, which is about 17 miles of backroads each way and it was a great drive. I've become more comfortable with the shifter and it's quite fun at this point.

The shifts are much shorter, so I'm able to do no lift shifts at 4000-5000rpm at 70-80% throttle seamlessly that it sounds quicker than an automatic.

My only regret is that I didn't have this shifter sooner.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available