Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram flywheel insert

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram flywheel insert

Has anyone successfully replaced the insert on a ram 2554 flywheel? Obviously a standard rivet gun won't accept those rivets. I'm at a loss. If sending it back to them is the only option, I wish I would've bought something else. I was under the assumption they are easily serviced at home.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

isn't the insert just hard metal on a light aluminum FW?

and is intended to be "resurfaced" vs replaced?

if I understand this from their site to mean the FW is to be resurfaced vs replacing insert...

"Ram Clutch Aluminum Flywheels are ready to install, right out of the box. Each flywheel is machined from certified materials in house. The SFI certified flywheels are surface ground for a flat, parallel mating surface and balanced to the factory specification within 0.5 ounce inch. Aluminum flywheels feature a 0.25 inch thick steel friction surface for better heat dissipation without distortion that can occur with thinner inserts. RAM flywheels can be resurfaced instead of replacing the insert every time the clutch is freshened. Get the best flywheel first, exclusively from RAM and made in the USA."
Old 05-01-2016, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

I have one of these with an LS7 clutch currently.

I wonder what the minimum height of the steel friction surface can be before the whole thing needs replacement??
Old 05-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
isn't the insert just hard metal on a light aluminum FW?

and is intended to be "resurfaced" vs replaced?

if I understand this from their site to mean the FW is to be resurfaced vs replacing insert...

"Ram Clutch Aluminum Flywheels are ready to install, right out of the box. Each flywheel is machined from certified materials in house. The SFI certified flywheels are surface ground for a flat, parallel mating surface and balanced to the factory specification within 0.5 ounce inch. Aluminum flywheels feature a 0.25 inch thick steel friction surface for better heat dissipation without distortion that can occur with thinner inserts. RAM flywheels can be resurfaced instead of replacing the insert every time the clutch is freshened. Get the best flywheel first, exclusively from RAM and made in the USA."
I guess having it turned is the best option. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ram flywheel insert