Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Keeps Popping out of reverse??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeps Popping out of reverse??!!

95 camaro. 6 speed...every gear shifts fine, no grinding...plenty of clutch left. but it wont stay in reverse. i have to literally hold it very firmly in reverse for it to stay in reverse. otherwise as soon as i barely let out on the clutch it'll pop right out. iv gotten use to it but it took some time lol every one keeps telling me its the synchronizers. How would they go bad in a gear that used only 2% of the time, an is it an easy fix????? ANy insight on this will be much appreciated
Old 05-23-2016, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reverse uses a bronze blocker instead of the paper or carbon normally seen on the other gears. The bronze ring doesn't usually wear out. More than likely it's the shift fork pad that is worn and not fully engaging the syncro. Reverse is in the tail housing and can technically be worked on with the trans in the car. Not easy though.

My trans was rebuilt before I got it and done all sorts of wrong. Had to replace the reverse driven gear. Not cheap. The preload was way off and a washer was eating into the gear surface.

Not trying to scare you. Just make sure you look at all the parts. If the syncro teeth are completely rounded you should replace the gear.

Quick Reply: Keeps Popping out of reverse??!!