Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Clutch help

So for starters, I'm not sure if I have an issue. I'm not even really sure what to search for, but I'll describe it as best I can. I don't know what clutch is currently in the car, it's the same one that was on there when I bought it almost 2.5 years ago. I'll assume mostly stock replacement parts, as the car was barely modded when I got it.

Normally, the clutch engagement in my car is rather sharp. I can let out as slowly as I want on the pedal, but the minute that disc contacts the flywheel, it feels as if it's making full contact. On the same token, I can usually feel that point in the clutch pedal, and can release the rest of the way with no issue.

Today, I went and got gas. After filling up, I noticed the clutch pedal felt very different. Gone was the sharp engagement I normally felt, and is now replaced with what I can only describe is a softer engagement. I can feel the clutch slip as if there's not enough pressure being applied to the clutch until I let out all the way on the pedal, once I do, everything is normal.

Car seems to still drive normally though. I did a half throttle run up to about 4k through first, second, and third, and it shifts fine, just no longer has that sharp engagement.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming your running a stock master cylinder since you didn't mention it. Have your checked clutch fluid condition/level lately? Suck some of the old fluid out of the reservoir, not too much, fill it up with fresh fluid and bleed it until you get all the old crap out.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I did check it last night. I had flushed and re-bled the fluid a few months ago (after neglecting it for a year, bad me, I know) and it was black as night. Now, it looks much the same. I'll see if I cant get it flushed/bled in the next few days, and if that resolves the issue.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That could have a lot to do with the problem. The most convenient way to clean up the fluid is before going on a drive, suck out some of the dirty stuff with a baster, then top off with clean fluid. Do this a few days in a row, and the fluid should be looking nice and clear! Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Clutch help