Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse lockout - how to connect in swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse lockout - how to connect in swap

I have a T56 swap in my Subaru, and I didn't connect anything in the reverse lockout conector...

in high speed, when I will put 5th, sometimes almost enter reverse...

how should I do to work? should put 12v and a switch in reverse lockout?

thanks for the help
Old 10-14-2016, 12:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

wire it to your brake pedal. It will be locked unless you push the brake....something you don't do when shifting into 5th. You just need to have your foot on brake to shift into reverse. Something you generally do when stopped.

You can also buy a HURST shift **** with a button and wire/activate release that way

on GM car it is controlled by PCM to release under 3 MPH
Old 10-14-2016, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
wire it to your brake pedal. It will be locked unless you push the brake....something you don't do when shifting into 5th. You just need to have your foot on brake to shift into reverse. Something you generally do when stopped.
Some people are on the brakes while down shifting, Keep that in mind if you hook it to the brake light.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

You can also buy a HURST shift **** with a button and wire/activate release that way

on GM car it is controlled by PCM to release under 3 MPH
if I want to put a push button to this, how to connect?

the Reverser Lockout conector, have 2 wires, 12v and ground?

when 12V and ground it release to shift into reverse?

Actually I dont have nothing there... is a little difficult to put reverse, but in this case, it shouldnt do this when put 5th, right?
Old 10-14-2016, 10:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by SWRocket
if I want to put a push button to this, how to connect?

the Reverser Lockout conector, have 2 wires, 12v and ground?

when 12V and ground it release to shift into reverse?

Actually I dont have nothing there... is a little difficult to put reverse, but in this case, it shouldnt do this when put 5th, right?
I looked into this when doing my swap and decided to not hook up anything to the lockout solenoid. Applying 12V to the solenoid engages it which allows it to be easier to go into reverse which is what a OEM ECM does under 3 MPH. With nothing connected you are pushing against the solenoid to get it into reverse which takes a little effort and should be enough to prevent you from missing 5th and going into reverse.

What shifter do you use? Something like an MGW will pretty much prevent missed gears by itself.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Some people are on the brakes while down shifting, Keep that in mind if you hook it to the brake light.
True....but down shifting from 6th to 5th is straight forward movement so the chance of buzzing reverse is not nearly as likely as a 4th to 5th shift....which would not involve braking on a upshift.

People do run without any reverse lock out and have no problems finding 5th be it up or down shift without buzzing reverse.

A shift ball with a button is another option. Typically those buttons are wired to line lock (roll control) but could also be wired to reverse lock out instead
Old 10-14-2016, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
I looked into this when doing my swap and decided to not hook up anything to the lockout solenoid. Applying 12V to the solenoid engages it which allows it to be easier to go into reverse which is what a OEM ECM does under 3 MPH. With nothing connected you are pushing against the solenoid to get it into reverse which takes a little effort and should be enough to prevent you from missing 5th and going into reverse.

What shifter do you use? Something like an MGW will pretty much prevent missed gears by itself.
I use stock T-56 with this adapter that I did to save space in the front

Old 10-15-2016, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True....but down shifting from 6th to 5th is straight forward movement so the chance of buzzing reverse is not nearly as likely as a 4th to 5th shift....which would not involve braking on a upshift.

People do run without any reverse lock out and have no problems finding 5th be it up or down shift without buzzing reverse.

A shift ball with a button is another option. Typically those buttons are wired to line lock (roll control) but could also be wired to reverse lock out instead
How on earth would could you find it! I wondered about this a while ago and sat in the garage and without the noid keeping you out of reverse I found it almost every time.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SWRocket
I have a T56 swap in my Subaru, and I didn't connect anything in the reverse lockout conector...

in high speed, when I will put 5th, sometimes almost enter reverse...

how should I do to work? should put 12v and a switch in reverse lockout?

thanks for the help
Use your ecu to only energise the solenoid below a certain speed. I would hope it has some generic outputs you can use.

And no idea how people can get away with those alloy sticks....mine broke in a number of weeks.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run my swap without the lock out connected. On my t56 hurst shifter there are 2 centering springs, on the outside spring I added another spring to make it extremely difficult to get into reverse.

With the extra spring you basically have to give a full body lean with your weight behind it to get far enough over to find reverse
Old 10-16-2016, 05:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Even with solenoid unpowered on mine, you can push the shifter over to reverse, although it does take some effort.

Although a friends Monaro/GTO with a different shifter, he cannot select reverse unless the solenoid is powered.
I guess some may be stronger than others.

Either way, he has an aftermarket ecu, it should be easy to use an output that will trigger based on roadspeed or some other parameter he can use,
Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

Either way, he has an aftermarket ecu, it should be easy to use an output that will trigger based on roadspeed or some other parameter he can use,
I have my solenoid hooked up to my Holley Dominator ECU. The ECU sees VSS signal as well. So I have it programmed to activate the solenoid below 5 mph, like stock, but with out the clutch switch.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Reverse lockout - how to connect in swap