Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Slave cylinder going?

I replaced the master cylinder in the spring, so I really really hope the new master cylinder isn't to blame. When I first drive my car, especially if it has been a few days since I last drove it, the clutch seems light. Clutch feel is sloppy. Shifting is clunky. After driving for a while, the clutch pedal firms up and the car drives great. Shifting is smooth. It does not feel to me that the clutch is slipping. It seems to have enough holding power. The only variable seems to be the "clutch feel" or firmness. Also, I may not be positive, but the catch point might change as it becomes firmer. However, I want to say that I'm only 80% certain. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this? My only guess is the slave cylinder. Also, I bled and bled and bled the master cylinder using both the bleeder valve method and the vacuum through the reservoir method and I'm pretty sure there's no air trapped. And if there was air trapped, wouldn't it be loose all the time? Any guesses?

Last edited by 2001ws6ft; 10-06-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ft
I replaced the master cylinder in the spring, so I really really hope the new master cylinder isn't to blame. When I first drive my car, especially if it has been a few days since I last drove it, the clutch seems light. Clutch feel is sloppy. Shifting is clunky. After driving for a while, the clutch pedal firms up and the car drives great. Shifting is smooth. It does not feel to me that the clutch is slipping. It seems to have enough holding power. The only variable seems to be the "clutch feel" or firmness. Also, I may not be positive, but the catch point might change as it becomes firmer. However, I want to say that I'm only 80% certain. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this? My only guess is the slave cylinder. Also, I bled and bled and bled the master cylinder using both the bleeder valve method and the vacuum through the reservoir method and I'm pretty sure there's no air trapped. And if there was air trapped, wouldn't it be loose all the time? Any guesses?
anyone?

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder going?