Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Master

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Clutch Master

Finally getting around to putting my car back on the road after years of it sitting. Which way does the stock clutch master go in, fought this thing for hours.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Clutch master is held into place at the firewall by a square U bolt. You will have to get your head down by the pedals to unscrew the nuts. It is best to remove the brake booster from the car to make installation and removal easier. You will also disconnect the line to the clutch slave cylinder before removal.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Thanks but I literally just need to know how to orient it when I put it in. The old one is long gone and I have everything now to put it back together I just cant seem to get it lined up. How hard is it to remove the brake booster, I thought of doing that so I could see what I was doing.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,386 Posts

I can take you some pictures if needed but as for installation there's only one way to install it. The clutch master is held onto the firewall by the U bolt. The braided line with connector to the clutch slave and should be down by the transmission, the actuator rod goes through the firewall and connects to the clutch pedal and the reservoir that holds the brake fluid is routed up top. The brake booster is a PITA to take off and on but will make doing the clutch master installation easier. Just disconnect the vacuum hose, remove the brake master cylinder and finally disconnect the actuator from the brake pedal and then remove the four nuts down there holding the booster to the firewall.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. Its nearly impossible to get right unless you remove the booster or have some one helping you from the inside
Old 04-06-2020, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Agreed. Its nearly impossible to get right unless you remove the booster or have some one helping you from the inside
I never had this much trouble with it, had my tick master installed in like 30min. Had tons of clutch/slave/master cyl issues with this car but its been like 5 years since Ive messed with the thing.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgill
I never had this much trouble with it, had my tick master installed in like 30min. Had tons of clutch/slave/master cyl issues with this car but its been like 5 years since Ive messed with the thing.
The tick unit is a little different, the factory style master has big ears on it and the inner rod cylinder is covered in plastic
Old 04-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
The tick unit is a little different, the factory style master has big ears on it and the inner rod cylinder is covered in plastic
I know, I had my old slave in and out if the car dozens of times, then switched to the tick master to help my issues (it didnt). Now I have a whole new motor, trans, and clutch. The RXT recommends the stock master so I took the tick master out and can't figure out how to orient the stock master. I was assuming that the braided line points towards the steering shaft and the hose for the reservoir points up but I'm getting hung up on something and it wolnt let me push the master all the way into place.

Quick Reply: Clutch Master