Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 issues

Hello all -
2002 WS6 with procharged 408 iron block. Having issues with T56 - normal driving it’s fine, under load it has issues going into 3rd from 2nd and when downshifting from 5th. Never used to be that way. Also, today it got stuck in 5th - was able to get it out. Is this common? In need of a rebuild? Better off getting a different trans? Want to say with manual. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelo Robert
Hello all -
2002 WS6 with procharged 408 iron block. Having issues with T56 - normal driving it’s fine, under load it has issues going into 3rd from 2nd and when downshifting from 5th. Never used to be that way. Also, today it got stuck in 5th - was able to get it out. Is this common? In need of a rebuild? Better off getting a different trans? Want to say with manual. Any help is appreciated.
Before tearing things down I would make sure you don't have air in the line. Did you change the fluid in the master/slave recently? Maybe it just needs to be bled. Just a thought.

And if you decide to upgrade, I had a great experience with Jason from Texas Drivetrain.

Last edited by rising_4rm_ashes; 05-14-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info....no, I have not done that. Changing oil and blower oil this weekend. Last trans service was about 7yrs ago - but I only put about 500 miles on a year so I thought I’d be fine. I’ll check that this weekend too.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Angelo Robert
Thanks for the info....no, I have not done that. Changing oil and blower oil this weekend. Last trans service was about 7yrs ago - but I only put about 500 miles on a year so I thought I’d be fine. I’ll check that this weekend too.
It could be that when the clutch/slave fluid is heating up it's preventing the slave from functioning appropriately.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Change the transmission fluid. I reccomend it once a year if the car sees a summer of hard use

Bleed the clutch and make sure it's brand new fluid. Brake fluid can break down and absorb moisture and boil at high temperatures. As mentioned make sure the line is wrapped with thermal insulation especially if you have long tube headers

Swap the master cylinder with an adjustable tick or ram setup. They can push more fluid

Old 05-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Change the transmission fluid. I reccomend it once a year if the car sees a summer of hard use

Bleed the clutch and make sure it's brand new fluid. Brake fluid can break down and absorb moisture and boil at high temperatures. As mentioned make sure the line is wrapped with thermal insulation especially if you have long tube headers

Swap the master cylinder with an adjustable tick or ram setup. They can push more fluid
I also have a Tick Master. One of the best investments I have made.

Quick Reply: T56 issues