Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Overthinking it or transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overthinking it or transmission issue?

About three months ago my T56 magnum transmission would not go into gear. Well I didn’t measure for shims so I toasted my clutch. Now I have a monster twin disc and measured correctly. A week ago I was going to park and it was hard to pull out of first. Right after that i cycled it through some gears and couldn’t repeat the issue. I’m thinking I maybe preloaded the gears in the trans because I was kind of rolling around while parking. Anyway now I think I’m being over sensitive and worried I may have a problem starting to form. I was driving home that day coasting to a stop (25 mph ish) and when I tried to put it into first it was hard. I can’t for the life of me remember if this is normal behavior or not? If I come closer to a complete stop it goes in fine.

I can put it in first and rev it to 5-6k and the car will not move. It goes into first and reverse easy while running. I thinking I’m just overthinking all this but thought it would be worth asking.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Lantz
when I tried to put it into first it was hard
What does this mean? Is the transmission grinding when you try to do this? If so, this would not be normal behavior for a regular T-56. I'm not sure about a Magnum.

If you are grinding, try shifting into Neutral first, giving the throttle a little "blip", and then try shifting into first from neutral. See if this is smoother.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:46 AM
Teching In

No grinding. Basically if I’m driving above 25 mph, put the clutch in, and go to put it into first there is resistance. It will still go into gear though. Probably could be described similar to how it would feel trying to put it into gear without putting the clutch in not moving. I’m pretty sure this is just normal since 1st is geared so low but can’t remember how it operated before.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

There are fewer synchros in first gear, it's clunky trying to put it in gear on the move. Rev matching helps some. The smartest thing to do is avoid going into first until you're near a stop. First gear is for accelerating, not for downshifting.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks. Like I said, just needed a sanity check.

Quick Reply: Overthinking it or transmission issue?