Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 gets stuck in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default T56 gets stuck in reverse

Rebuilt the t56 in my firebird to stage 2 specs.
After install trans gets stuck in reverse and have to play with shifter to get it to come out.
I removed the transmission and when bench testing I was able to get it stuck in reverse, removed top plate and can see that the reverse synchro is stuck.
I'm going to remove the tailshaft, I'm looking for people with more knowledge of the t56 to let me know possible causes of this happening.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2022, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cammednnbs
Rebuilt the t56 in my firebird to stage 2 specs.
After install trans gets stuck in reverse and have to play with shifter to get it to come out.
I removed the transmission and when bench testing I was able to get it stuck in reverse, removed top plate and can see that the reverse synchro is stuck.
I'm going to remove the tailshaft, I'm looking for people with more knowledge of the t56 to let me know possible causes of this happening.

Thanks
It's most likely the synchronizer keys. Did you install the reverse lockplate? Did you clock the synchro sleeve correctly to the synchro hub? If you need help post pics. Also look at the center of the synchro key for wear/gouges.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

I removed tailshaft and found my mistake. There's two lock ring grooves about the reverse fork and I installed the c clip in the wrong one. Also rebuilt the reverse synchro just to be safe.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cammednnbs
I removed tailshaft and found my mistake. There's two lock ring grooves about the reverse fork and I installed the c clip in the wrong one. Also rebuilt the reverse synchro just to be safe.
Awesome! Time to row some gears!
Old 07-08-2022, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: T56 gets stuck in reverse