Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch install problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 09:59 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Clutch install problems...

I installed a LS6 clutch kit Saturday. 18K miles and the stock clutch was gone. Everything went pretty good for not having experience with doing one on a 4th gen. I installed an 01+ slave and did the drill mod as well. The pedal engages where it did with the stock clutch, and it has pretty good feel the whole length of travel, so I'm pretty sure there isn't any air in the system.

I feel like I wasted 40 bucks on a MityVac, and I feel that bench bleeding the master was a waste of time as well (I messed with the "Buschman Method"). Basically, myself and 3 other buddies bled the master and slave in the car (one guy watching the resevoir, one guy under the car messing with the bleeder valve on the slave, myself pumping the pedal, and another to chill out for a bit ).

Here are the problems though...

The cruise control doesn't work.

The SES light is on.

It still smells like the clutch is burning.

We plugged everything in under the car. I double checked it today, and I checked everything under the dash to make sure something wasn't bumped. I'm going to run a scanner on it tomorrow or Tuesday to see what code is being thrown.

As far as the burnt clutch smell... it's only occasionally I smell it. I have about 150 or so miles on the new setup, and I have been driving easy. I did one little run from 2nd gear through 4th granny shifting at 5 grand (it had a little over 100 miles then - the SES light came on shortly after that). The only thing i'm *hoping* the smell could be is that when I burned the clutch up, smoke was coming from the vents and was all over inside, so maybe some of the smell is working it's way out. The only thing about that is I only seem to smell it when I go from a stop. I used brakleen on the flywheel surface and the pressure plate before installing them, so there shouldn't have been any foreign stuff on those surfaces.

So... anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2004, 11:29 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that the pedal assembly is closing the clutch switch. Is it an adjustable master?
If it is not right cruise will not work & possibly have other issues as well.
It might be your ses light as well, P07 something clutch switch.
I seen your "smokin" pic I'd bet it'll take a while for that smell to go away...j/k
Old 08-09-2004, 07:31 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by wrencher
Check that the pedal assembly is closing the clutch switch. Is it an adjustable master?
If it is not right cruise will not work & possibly have other issues as well.
It might be your ses light as well, P07 something clutch switch.
I seen your "smokin" pic I'd bet it'll take a while for that smell to go away...j/k
It's just a factory master. What would make the clutch switch close? The pedal is up as far as it's going to go.

The install seemed to go too smooth...
Old 08-09-2004, 10:36 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

So I scanned the code...

It's the clutch switch code. So now i've got to dig around and fine the bad connection and/or ground.

PO704 - Clutch switch input CKT problem

Last edited by DMNSPD; 08-11-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Well, the smell is gone

The clutch grabs awesome as i'm getting tire from 4th now. I still have the stupid cruise/ses light problem though.

So has anyone else had the same problem?

Last edited by DMNSPD; 08-11-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:22 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I finally fixed my problem. I figured I'd post about it if anyone else comes across the same thing.

The clutch switch is a threaded sensor. There is a little push thingy that the clutch will push into the sensor when it's off the floor. It tells the car if the clutch is in or not. I screwed the sensor in until the pushin thingy was almost bottomed out into the sensor. My cruise works and I got my engine light out.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I finally fixed my problem. I figured I'd post about it if anyone else comes across the same thing.

The clutch switch is a threaded sensor. There is a little push thingy that the clutch will push into the sensor when it's off the floor. It tells the car if the clutch is in or not. I screwed the sensor in until the pushin thingy was almost bottomed out into the sensor. My cruise works and I got my engine light out.
hrm, i wonder if i have this problem, my cruise control hasnt worked since i bought the car but i never got any codes, where is that sensor?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Look at the clutch pedal (up under the dash) - where it comes to rest up at the stop in the car. It's a white doohickey with some threads on it, and a pushbutton that contacts the clutch pedal arm. If it gets pushed back, it won't make contact with the arm.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Look at the clutch pedal (up under the dash) - where it comes to rest up at the stop in the car. It's a white doohickey with some threads on it, and a pushbutton that contacts the clutch pedal arm. If it gets pushed back, it won't make contact with the arm.

I'll have to give credit to some member of the forum. They posted about the switch being threaded in another thread. So thanks whoever it was!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Default fixed

Sweet, fixed mine as well! After two turns it was able to make contact with the clutch pedal. Too bad its impossible to unplug.

Thanks for the awesome thread!

-circut
Old 05-28-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i have the same problem but without the smell....i just did a ls7 clutch in my car....but i think my problem is i didnt plug the speedo back into the trans!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:23 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Holy crap old thread!

I'm glad it helped someone, though!

And yes, if I recall, it seemed impossible to unplug the sensor!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Staging Lane

Talking

I had a clutch change and kept throwing the PO704 code too ! Simple fix .
God bless ya
Old 08-10-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

well if the clutch swith wasnt work you would be able to start the car with out the clutch in???

Quick Reply: Clutch install problems...