Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what did i break?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what did i break?

Ok heres the story. I was goin to show my buddy how good my car launches with the bfg d/r's on my car. So i went out to some old road and turned around. When i turned around i drove throgh some dirt so i wanted to spin the tires a little bit to clean them off. So i did a small burnout like 5ft long. then pushed the clutch in and started to hit the brakes. but heres where the trouble started. the car was acting like i was hitting the brakes without hitting the clutch at the same time. But i kept hitting the brakes and the clutch til the car finally stopped and stalled out. So i was like what the hell. I left the car in 1st gear. Pushed in the clutch and tryed to start the car. And it turned over and started driving off (like when u start a car while its in gear without pushing the clutch in). So now i am rolling down the road and tryed to shift it to 2nd. but it was extremely hard to get out of 1st gear. and once in neutral would not go in any gear. so i coast off the side of the raod and stop. the clutch pedal felt perfect. plenty of pressure. i checked the fluid and it was full. so again i put it in 1st and push the clutch in and start it and it takes off like i wasnt using the clutch like the last time. so i try to shift and its still really hard to get in neutral and wont go in 2nd or 3rd or 4th gear. so i push it really hard into 3rd and it grinds then clunks and goes into 3rd. then i tryed to shift to 4th and it shifts just fine into 4th. then 5th. then back down to 4th. and tryed to go down to 3rd and it grinds. so i rev match and go into 2nd, which works just fine. tryed to go into 3rd again and it grinds then goes in. but the clutch sometimes will make a whineing noise while letting it out. So now everything works perfectly except 3rd gear grinds when you shift into it. What the hell did i do? i have a spec stage 3 clutch with billet flywheel and updated hydraulics and t/o bearing and pilot bearing. all with about 10k miles on them. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Old 08-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Teching In

My car did the same thing last nite the same time my clutch came apart(only 420 miles on clutch). I fugure it has to be the slave cylinder. I pulled tranny 2day and when I unplugged the hydraulic line, fluid poured out of the slave cylinder and it shouldn't. Calling spec in the morning and finding out. Pedal still feels fine but pressure fluctuates on mine when it warms up. Getting tired of pullin the tranny.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

but now my clutch/trans works fine except it grinds going into 3rd gear. i even power shifted it into 2nd to see if it would just break but it felt normal. let me know what they tell u is wrong with yours.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

anybody else ?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Put new clutch and slave cylinder in last nite and everything is working perfectly. As for 3rd gear grind, I would say that you busted the 3-4 synchronizer. I just rebuilt mine 2 weeks ago. Everything felt fine except it would grind going into 3rd unless I double clutched it. Let me know if I can help. Good luck
Old 08-25-2004, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

well i hope i dont have to replace my clutch again. i will be pissed. i am sure my 3rd gear synchro is trashed. or a bent shift fork. everything else is still workin fine except that 3rd gear grind. i am just curious what was broken to not let me shift in and out of gears. seems like a clutch problem to me. but the clutch is working fine now.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Mine did exactly the same and I figured it to be my slave cylinder. Cause when I unhooked the line from the slave cylinder, fluid poured out of the slave cylinder and its not suppose too. With new slave installed, everything is working properly.

Quick Reply: what did i break?